Talk

Advanced search

How much paid study leave does yr org offer?

(24 Posts)
MrsMargoLeadbetter Mon 13-Aug-18 06:13:30

Hello

Looking to benchmark if possible. Someone in my team is doing a self-funded MA. Their dissertation is focussed on our org, so could be useful.

They have asked for paid study leave to help them finish off writing the dissertation.

The staff handbook says we can grant paid study leave at the discretion of the line manager. Our HR consultant and CEO are both away. I am about to go on leave, so need to give them an answer.

We are a charity with 25 staff.

Would be great to know what other organisations offer.

TIA

OP’s posts: |
toomuchfaster Mon 13-Aug-18 06:29:43

Nothing. Everyone self-funded in our organisation has to take annual leave for this sort of thing.

DilianaDilemma Mon 13-Aug-18 06:34:18

Mo actual leave - We do get our tuition fees paid in full and to scale back to PT if we've been there for over a year and commit to either stay on for another two (we will owe the fees in full if we decide to resign before that).

GemmaB78 Mon 13-Aug-18 06:39:17

My former company offered 5 days a year (and paid for my MA - I was bloody lucky!) But our annual leave package wasn't great. I don't know if my current employer (a university!) offers any as I've not looked into it, but my annual leave is very generous so wouldn't mind so much if they didn't.

So I think some balance against annual leave is fair. If your company's package is the bare minimum, then I think some paid leave (maybe a week?) is fair. If it's generous, then I think your team member should be expected to use their annual leave.

NiceCardigan Mon 13-Aug-18 06:44:18

We can have 5 days per qualification that work are paying for. There’d be nothing if it was self-funded.

Bezm Mon 13-Aug-18 06:44:40

My daughter is a graduate for a big multinational company. They pay her exam fees, and she gets at least a day's study leave for each exam. She will be doing the exams for about 5 years. This year she has done about 5 exams so far.
If she doesn't pass an exam she can resit but has to pay herself.
I wold say your person should get at least a couple of days, particularly as the dissertation will help the company in some way.

MaverickSnoopy Mon 13-Aug-18 06:50:10

I've never worked anywhere that has offered this. I have worked places that will pay for training and study that you can do during work time and you usually get half a day off per week for the training. This can obviously stack up to a lot of time off.

Do you have any idea of when their dissertation is due or how much they have done so far? I wouldn't necessarily ask them this as it shouldn't really be used as a marker to decide how much time to give them.

My feeling is that you could say that you will give them half a day for the next two weeks but that you then need to discuss further leave with the CEO when they return, or something like that. I think it's important to try and offer some parity and you don't want to offer above and beyond if it can't be offered to the next person.

AJPTaylor Mon 13-Aug-18 07:00:09

How long is the dissertation?
If it is down to your discretion and they havw self funded/done the rest of it on their own time i would say 5 days.

EBearhug Mon 13-Aug-18 09:05:43

At manager's discretion. Some managers are pretty reasonable. Others aren't keen on you having study leave even for exams they pay for and expect you to take as part of your job-role.

We can also get tuition assistance payments, within certain guidelines.

greendale17 Mon 13-Aug-18 09:07:22

If it is self funded then none.

If the company has paid for the course then it is at managers discretion.

DrWhy Mon 13-Aug-18 09:09:59

None unless you are one of the very select few hand picked to do a funded MA and accelerated into higher management. However most of the training and exams we do are internal and part of our companies own graduate and technical professional training programs and that is all done on work time anyway.

StoorieHoose Mon 13-Aug-18 09:16:49

5 days development leave as long as it relates to your current job. I work for a charity too

Amaried Tue 14-Aug-18 18:52:21

Got the exam days off.. 5 days in total.

daisychain01 Wed 15-Aug-18 09:30:42

to help them finish off writing the dissertation

I'd have to question what exactly they plan to do with any study leave they take. If it's to get the pages in order and arrange for the final document to be mounted and bound (which itself is time consuming) then those finishing touches are a different matter to having to complete writing. And then have to get it bound and submitted.

I'd ask them what their deadline is, when they need the study leave (as you will have to arrange cover during their absence) and how many days they need, then you can assess if what they want is reasonable. You could propose they use AL of 2-3 days and you'd match that amount.

897654321abcvrufhfgg Wed 15-Aug-18 09:35:37

Nothing for a charity. I’d be livid to think that the money I donate every year was funding employees career progression! Would like it to directly help what it’s set up for

cloudtree Wed 15-Aug-18 09:36:38

none

flowery Wed 15-Aug-18 10:22:53

"I’d be livid to think that the money I donate every year was funding employees career progression! Would like it to directly help what it’s set up for"

That's extremely shortsighted of you. Training and developing employees who work for charities helps them perform their roles better (which benefits recipients of whatever services the charity performs in the case of service delivery staff, and increases fundraising in the case of those staff, therefore increases amounts available to spend on those charitable objectives). Employee development also helps retain good staff in a sector where salaries are not usually high, therefore reducing by thousands the amount of charitable funding which has to be spent on recruitment, allowing more of that money to be spent on service delivery instead.

I'm not saying charities never waste money, but being 'livid' that employees have anything spent on them and thinking it's not to the charity's benefit to do so is bonkers tbh.

897654321abcvrufhfgg Wed 15-Aug-18 14:40:40

Unfortunately I have a biased opinion as I used to volunteer for a charity and the money spent on rent, staff, training etc represented over 86% of income. I think some people would shocked at how little directly helps those in need

welshweasel Wed 15-Aug-18 14:44:23

I work for the nhs and get 30 days of study leave to be used over 3 years.

itbemay Wed 15-Aug-18 14:59:14

NHS - 5 days study leave per year

flowery Wed 15-Aug-18 15:00:19

"I have a biased opinion as I used to volunteer for a charity and the money spent on rent, staff, training etc represented over 86% of income"

Don't let one very poorly run charity taint your view overall. I used to work for Macmillan Cancer Support, and a quick look at last year's annual report informs me that about 75% of their spending went on charitable activities. I don't think they are massively out of kilter with other comparable charities, I'm sure most of the big ones are between 60 % and 80 % on charitable activities.

Any charity spending 86% of income on rent, staff and training rather than charitable activities is a disgrace, but most of them are not like that.

Blobbyweeble Wed 15-Aug-18 15:11:25

NHS- no study leave. All CPD has to be done on days off or by swapping shifts unless it’s statutory and mandatory training which is for two days a year.

StoorieHoose Wed 15-Aug-18 18:31:55

I have worked for a charity for 25 years and I have not once been put on any training course paid for by my employers. I am self funding my degree which my employers will greatly benefit from the knowledge I have gained. And I’m on shite wages but you stick to thinking that Your donations should go 100% to the activities on the ground.

confusedandconfuddled Wed 15-Aug-18 18:58:26

A day for any written exams and that's it (a university).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in