Talk

Advanced search

Nhs dismissal policys

(8 Posts)
hmarie30 Sun 05-Aug-18 13:09:46

Hi guys

Really need some help I started work a few weeks ago and after one week I got signed off a week with an ear problem went back the Monday but the tunes morning had a rash on my forehead and our doctors sent me home with shingles , I have been off 4 weeks in all with a doctors note plus a referral to ENT as my ear is still bad and blocked I was going to go back mon but this heat wave and the fatigue from the shingles has left me exhausted so will go back wed when it's cooler and hopefully I feel more mobile, I'm really worried il lose my job as I'm new and this stress isn't helping , can anyone help with advice please

OP’s posts: |
Clairetree1 Sun 05-Aug-18 13:12:42

well, you might

are you on a trial period? if so, I would think it is likely

sorry, not what you want to hear, but realistic

KirstyJC Sun 05-Aug-18 13:19:53

Have you had contact with your manager eg when you sent in the fit notes? Have they or you asked for a referral to Occupational Health? If you haven't already, speak to your manager and tell her how worried you are that you haven't been able to work and ask her what will happen. No point in getting stressed without the facts.

I work for NHS and if you have been signed off, then there ought to be processes etc but it might depend a bit on the manager. They would have spent a lot of time and money in recruiting you, which they would need to do again if they sacked you. So if you are due to come back to work shortly it would be sensible of them not to put themselves through all the HR hassle unless they needed to.

Hope you feel better soon.

TittyGolightly Sun 05-Aug-18 13:22:10

I’m a senior HR professional in the NHS.

The sickness policy will have triggers (eg 3 absences in 6 months, 4 in 12, 2 or more absences in 12 months totalling more than 10 days). When you hit a trigger you will start informal procedures. If your absence doesn’t improve you’ll move onto formal procedures which might, in time, lead to dismissal. This should be explained to you by your manager in your return to work meeting.

TittyGolightly Sun 05-Aug-18 13:23:17

I work for NHS and if you have been signed off, then there ought to be processes etc but it might depend a bit on the manager.

Managers need to be very careful if they are picking and choosing when to follow employment policies!

NorthernLurker Sun 05-Aug-18 13:26:29

Your probation will need to be extended as you won't have time to complete it. If you go back next week and stay at work for the next few months with no absence at all you should be ok. Another absence or two will significantly increase the chance of dismissal.

hmarie30 Sun 05-Aug-18 13:35:24

Thank you for your responses I'm starting to take multi vitamins and berroca to improve my immune system think il try a bit of eating better too I s not as though shingles is like your every day cold but it knocks you for six maybe occupational health can speed up my ENT they think the shingles was linked to my ear

hmarie30 Sun 05-Aug-18 13:37:32

Oh yes I have kept in contact with management and my doctor has done a note to cover from day 1 , they also saw the rash themselves and spoke to our doctors I know once the heT calms down I will feel human again

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in