Dismissed unfairly after short period, how to deal with this on CV?

(18 Posts)
StrawberryIce Sun 05-Aug-18 10:33:19

I'm a manager, spent 7 years in last permanent job which ended in redundancy last November. Had temp job from then until March this year when started this job which was supposed to be on permanent basis.

However things started to go wrong from the start. Conditions were never as promised, not enough support staff etc and promised IT investment was delayed. Then catastrophe, large contract lost leaving big hole in income. One of directors sacked, my line manager panicking to me that "we are all going to get sacked ".

Then last week I was called into a meeting to say I was sacked as not up to the job. No previous indications of problems. Line manager read out a list of supposed grave errors to justify, all very minor, some not even mine and none discussed previously. It seems clear I was got rid of because of the business problems and they can no longer afford me - mine was a new post created because of business expansion now lost. The company will not want to admit these problems as they are owned by a large listed group and this could have implications for share price.

Now I know I have no protection against unfair dismissal and frankly I'm glad to get out of there but how do I deal with this period on my CV and the fact that I would get a reference from them stating I have been dismissed? Do I just leave it off and account for the period as temp jobs or be very upfront and tell the full story? Will get good references from my last permanent job and the temp job but can I avoid having to give the last employer as reference?

Really upset, this has never happened to me before and I feel like my career is now irredeemably blighted sad

OP’s posts: |
lutjanus Sun 05-Aug-18 10:39:33

Sorry to hear you were unfairly dismissed.

I'd go the temp jobs story as its not many months to cover.

You want to avoid being seen as a "difficult" employee who causes problems with management.

lutjanus Sun 05-Aug-18 10:41:14

Oops didn't finish.

If I was an interviewer and the candidate had a lengthy sob story of unfair dismissal, its not my fault blah blah blah that would raise red flags for me.

eurochick Sun 05-Aug-18 10:44:02

I'd deal with it on your CV by covering the whole period where you have been temping as "date to August 2018 - various temporary and short term posts, including at x and y companies". It's all true but avoids the issue.

endofthelinefinally Sun 05-Aug-18 10:44:05

Just a brief explanation that the company got into severe financial difficulties and several people lost their jobs. Including you and one of the directors.

StrawberryIce Sun 05-Aug-18 10:49:01

Thanks for replies all, it's very kind of you to take the time.

Endof, I know that the business problems are the real reason but I don't think the company will want to admit this and will probably state on a reference that I was dismissed for incompetence. This would lose me any job offer.

daisychain01 Sun 05-Aug-18 11:06:15

You don't need to give detailed info about this latest company. The new employer isn't interested about the ins and outs, it isn't like you were sacked for gross misconduct, so you don't need to worry, you aren't hiding any skeletons in any cupboards.

Don't give them as a reference, you can reason only if asked, that you weren't there long enough for them to give a meaningful evaluation.

Give your long term employers as a reference, that will be fine.

daisychain01 Sun 05-Aug-18 11:09:13

btw, legally and technically you were not unfairly dismissed. It may feel unfair how they did it, but they decided they couldn't keep you under the circumstances and they did it by self- justifying - for their staff records.

StrawberryIce Sun 05-Aug-18 11:20:12

Hi Daisy, yes I know there is no basis for an unfair dismissal case I have no intention of looking for any angle on that. I know they can dismiss for no reason at all. However, their stated reason is clearly nonsense and everyone in that meeting knew it. I wouldn't have minded if they had been honest about it but sure head office wouldn't allow it. Puts me in a crap situation through no fault of my own sad

sashh Sun 05-Aug-18 11:32:09

I'd cover the CV with 'temporary contracts' and then contact ACAS. You may have no case for an unfair dismissal claim but you can, via ACAS, negotiate an 'agreed reference'.

eurochick Sun 05-Aug-18 13:39:54

You could also try appealing to their good nature. See if they will let you resign? Is there a supporter in management who could support you with this?

StrawberryIce Sun 05-Aug-18 13:42:57

Too late to resign. They sacked me on the spot and paid in lieu of notice. They don't appear to have a better nature to appeal to

StrawberryIce Sun 05-Aug-18 13:44:07

It seems the best plan is to lose these months as various temp jobs

Mousetolioness Wed 08-Aug-18 07:20:52

Could you have look into the 'wrongful dismissal' route instead to enable you to perhaps negotiate a better outcome re reason /reference? Sounds like they haven't followed any good practice procedures if, as you say, they laid blame at your feet for things you weren't responsible for and no prior discussion re pergormance? You do still have rights as to how your employment and disciplinary issues are managed. Wrongful dismissal can be used even if unfair dismissal grounds can't be. You do still have employment rights when you've been employed less than 2 years. Your job is less protected etc, if employed less than 2 years but you still have basic rights re treatment. To say you have no protection at all is just not true. Employers / managers often overlook that. Suggest getting some advice in case you do have some leverage here.

BubblesBuddy Wed 08-Aug-18 10:58:10

I think if you do not state that these people employed you,and you state instead that you temped, you are lying about your employment record. That is a dismissible offence where I used to work and is, essentially dishonest. Employers can expect the truth and not dishonesty from the start.

I therefore think you have no option but to be honest about your employment record regarding where you worked. You can put the dates in. If they want reason for leaving you will have to elaborate. Some employers won’t let you pick and choose about who the last employer was in terms of a reference. It’s a matter of fact and they may insist on a reference from last employer as company policy. What would you do in this scenario if you have lied about who employed you and they found out? More trouble. The agency cannot give the dates you worked for them to include the last job.

If you have to state why you are no longer employed, say about loss of the contract. As you had been there less than 6 months they could have just let you go after 6 months probation anyway. Seems they chose to be difficult. I would state you were let go and say it’s because you and they could not reconcile minor working issues and training during the probation period wasn’t provided. Therefore it was easier for them to dismiss you during your probation period rather than offer training and an opportunity to improve. They appeared to have no intention to continue yours and other employees contracts due to a shrinking contract portfolio.

Honesty is the best policy!

genivert Wed 08-Aug-18 19:55:02

OP, I would at least send a recorded letter / email exploring the option of wrongful dismissal. Does your contract specifically state anything about the performance management process? Do you have copies of any internal guidelines? At the very least, best practice dictates that they needed to identify performance issues, document/articulate them, and put you on a plan to have an opportunity to remedy the issues (even if they still had a plan to get rid of you in the end, there should have been a process they followed AND a papertrail to cover their arses on it).

If they haven't, you have nothing to lose by exploring the possibility and thereby negotiating an agreed reference from them for future employers.

Call ACAS, would be my advice, as a very basic step - tel 0300 123 1100 and they're open from 8am tomorrow.

daisychain01 Fri 10-Aug-18 06:17:10

OP have they stated you will need to serve your contractual notice period? Will they pay you for that? Or alternatively, have they agreed to pay you in lieu of notice?

Have they agreed to pay you any outstanding holiday pay as part of your closing salary?

If they have complied fully with their contractual obligations then you will find it very hard to take them for wrongful dismissal. If they told you to clear your desk and leave after the meeting they had with you, and thereby breached their employment contract with you, then you do indeed have a case for wrongful dismissal. There wasn't enough information in your post to determine that.

flowery Fri 10-Aug-18 06:34:27

”At the very least, best practice dictates that they needed to identify performance issues, document/articulate them, and put you on a plan to have an opportunity to remedy the issues (even if they still had a plan to get rid of you in the end, there should have been a process they followed AND a papertrail to cover their arses on it).”

None of this is relevant. If they didn’t give the OP the correct notice then she might technically have a case for wrongful dismissal. But it won’t help her agree a negotiated reference. If she raises wrongful dismissal as a possibility all they need to do to remove that is pay her her notice.

I agree that going down the temp job route is probably best.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in