New job offer - worried about poor sick record

(3 Posts)
Tillymint1966 Fri 03-Aug-18 23:26:59

Hi, I've been offered a new job within NHS subject to usual checks. The reason I'm leaving my current role is due to the ever increasing demands putting a strain on my health. I e been with this employer for over 20 years with a good sick record until 18 months ago when I went off with work related stress for 5 months. NHS asking for sick record for past 2 years - how many incidents and how many days. I'm obviously going to tell them the truth but I'm worried that when they see how long I was off for and why ( one of their questions is "has your work contributed to your illness"). The job I've been offered is an admin job. I am still on Anti-depressants due to the stress caused, but I am reducing this - I really do feel that once I leave the toxic environment my stress levels will reduce. It sickens mebto think that the very reason I need to leave my current job might be the exact same reason I can't get another one. Does anyone have any advice ? Thank you

OP’s posts: |
daisychain01 Sat 04-Aug-18 05:07:38

The sequence in which they will ask questions about health is important here.

You have been offered the job, they are now asking about attendance. As you've said, it's best to be honest, give them the reason why you had to take time off.

If they subsequently withdraw the offer because they don't like the fact that you had to take time off due to workplace stress, which is very common nowadays, then they have some explaining to do.

I don't think there's anything you can do other than give them facts (esp that your long term record was excellent apart from this episode) then watch and wait. From the perspective of Bradford scale your rating will be better because you had one period of absence rather than multiple short periods, 1-3 days, over an extended period. They would be shortsighted to withdraw their offer, if you've convinced them at interview you are right for the job.

Tillymint1966 Sat 04-Aug-18 18:03:55

Thank you Daisy chain. That makes me feel a bit better. I've never heard of the Bradford scale but I will look it up. Thank you for your response x

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in