New to management and struggling

(4 Posts)
damag Wed 01-Aug-18 07:52:00

Anyone else find it hard not to take things personally? Conflict amongst staff/staff leaving for other opportunities/sick leave.

My own boss is great and v supportive but I feel like I am doing a dreadful job even though everyone I manage keeps trying to reassure me that I'm not.

Please someone tell me it gets easier or am I just not cut out for this sad

OP’s posts: |
TrippingTheVelvet Wed 01-Aug-18 15:44:36

In my first management role I went home and cried almost every night for about 6 months. Then I got cold and hard grin. In all seriousness, I eventually realised it was impossible to keep everyone happy and if I knew I was being fair then that was ok. If you're fair and reasonable some staff will still take the hump. Let them, if you pander to silliness it'll continue.

damag Wed 01-Aug-18 17:12:24

Thank you Tripping smile feel better knowing it's not just me then !

Feel so up and down sometimes, just when things are going well a spanner gets thrown in the works.

OP’s posts: |
HipHopTheHippieToTheHipHipHop Wed 01-Aug-18 21:22:04

The hardest thing as a new manager is changing your view of the people in your team. You’re no longer “one of us” and have to view them as employees first and friends second.

That’s not to say that you can’t be friendly, but the relationship needs to be manager and subordinate, not co-workers.

They’ll respect you much more for it in the long run.

It is hard though.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in