Handed in 2 week notice

(10 Posts)
Mum2threejs Mon 23-Jul-18 23:48:06

Hi, I’ve read similar posts but I’m not to clear on this. I’ve handed in my notice to the company I currently work for having lined up a new job. I decided to leave my current job as I am unhappy with what’s considered ( by them) to be normal when working for a small family ran company. Anyway I accepted the new job with a start date of the 1st of August but my current employer now wants me to work until the 4th. If I just leave would / could they sue me??? I met my replacement already so it isn’t like there struggling to replace me. It was suggested by a work colleague to just work TIL Friday when I get paid and then go off sick or just not turn in. For the matter of 3 days it all seems quite extreme

OP’s posts: |
BakedBeans47 Mon 23-Jul-18 23:49:44

It’s massively unlikely they’ll sue you for the sake of 3 days

sadandtired1 Mon 23-Jul-18 23:52:49

Why did you accept a start date you couldn't commit to. Tell the new employer you've handed in your notice and will be available on x date. You'd expect your employer to honour your notice period - it works both ways

Mum2threejs Tue 24-Jul-18 00:00:08

I did hand it in two weeks should have been the 31st. But apparently they didn’t accept it until 3 days after though I didn’t know this at the time it was only when the rota was posted they told me that I would have to work TIL the 4 which is what they now see as my end of two weeks.

Fuzzywig Tue 24-Jul-18 00:03:20

Can you take 3 days holiday instead of being paid in lieu?

Are you weekly or monthly paid?

I can’t see them creating a fuss but get a written reference first and do what is right for you and your conscience.

PandaPieForTea Tue 24-Jul-18 00:06:08

They don’t get to decide when to accept your notice. Giving your notice starts your notice period. You therefore have no obligation to stay to 4th.

Mum2threejs Tue 24-Jul-18 00:09:51

I do get paid weekly and have more than enough holiday saved. I will have to ask them and hope they agree :-s honestly I’m at the point of just wanting out. They can be reasonable at times but not always

sadandtired1 Tue 24-Jul-18 00:17:55

What Panda said

flowery Tue 24-Jul-18 05:15:09

”I did hand it in two weeks should have been the 31st. But apparently they didn’t accept it until 3 days after”

They don’t get to choose when to accept it. If you’ve given notice and they’ve definitely received it, it starts immediately.

sagasleathertrousers Tue 24-Jul-18 06:09:26

Yes your notice starts from the day you handed it in. They can't keep you there til the 4th.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in