I want to cry, terrible interview

(40 Posts)
Gnashingofteeth Fri 20-Jul-18 20:51:12

I had an interview today for a senior position in the public sector. It was awful. The panel was very nice gave encouraging nods and asked questions but my answer were unstructured and all over the place. I forgot to mention some key actions and things I'd done. To top it off, they asked what I saw as my development area. I do not know what possessed me but I mention one of the areas that was a core part of the job. I just can't believe I did that. I did mention that I have done much better in that area since undertaking a lessons learned and then training. I feel so demoralised. I messed it up. I just want to curl up and cry because I messed up a great opportunity.

Waiting for the outcome is going to be excruciating.

OP’s posts: |
Marmite27 Fri 20-Jul-18 20:53:51

I cried during my last interview because I was so nervous.

I’ve been there 4 years now (kind of, I’m on my second maternity leave smile)

Look at it this way, if it was that bad at least you won’t have to see them again flowers

PoisonousSmurf Fri 20-Jul-18 20:56:01

I've always found that the worst interviews land you a job! Don't give up hope flowers

Whisky2014 Fri 20-Jul-18 20:58:23

I did the same a couple of interviews back. I missed really important achievements out. Whatever happens will be ok. If you do get it great if not you will not make the same mistake again.

Gnashingofteeth Fri 20-Jul-18 20:59:34

grin thanks Marmite. That made me smile. I wonder what they would have made of me if I cried. I just feel I let down myself and I no explanation for why I undermined myself and forgot to mention key things. If I'd done my best I would mind the outcome. Aaarrggh I feel so crushed. A wasted opportunity that does come by easy and these interviews are so gruelling.

Gnashingofteeth Fri 20-Jul-18 21:01:28

Does NOT come by easy.

Thanks for the encouraging words Poisonous and Whisky.

MsJacksonIfUrNasty Fri 20-Jul-18 21:01:45

flowers

I’ve had a couple of absolute shockers, OP. I think we all have!

Don’t be too hard on yourself. Nerves can get the better of us sometimes, especially if it’s a great opportunity/something you really want or have a lot resting on.

You’ll stop cringing eventually. And when you get your feedback, you can calmly acknowledge it wasn’t your best interview and move forward. Next time you’ll smash it grin.

SaveFerris1 Fri 20-Jul-18 21:03:57

I had an interview as well today. Initially I thought it had gone ok but now I'm lying here thinking of all the things I should have said. Feeling a bit thick and am thinking they probably wonder how I'm even in the job I'm in at the moment! Won't hear until next week, which means I have to work all weekend wondering what the outcome was!
Wish I was one of those people who could breeze in, all confident. I'm destined to be the sweaty anxious one!

MsJacksonIfUrNasty Fri 20-Jul-18 21:05:07

(Also after that sometimes the worst interviews land you the job...you just never know. I got the job after a couple of my absolute worst interviews, including thr one where I had to ask the panel to repeat almost every question as I was so nervous I couldn’t ubderstand the words coming out of their mouths <cringe>, and the one where I had a massive hormonal hot flush and my breastfeeding norks leaked mid interview rendering my top see through <ground swallow me>).

MsJacksonIfUrNasty Fri 20-Jul-18 21:05:46

agree that, not after that!

Processedpea Fri 20-Jul-18 21:06:57

if you want to develop a key part of your job surely that's good, professional development? esp if it's an ever changing industry?

btw my worse interview was when i coughed and some phlegm landed on my shirt for all to see. i didn't know what to do so just let it sitting there.

would have been ace at that job too

EmmaC78 Fri 20-Jul-18 21:15:57

Processes that made me laugh 😀 My worst interview was when I took a sip of water and it went down the wrong way and I started properly choking. When you almost can't breathe. The three interviewers just sat staring at me not knowing what to do.

Sorry the interview went badly OP. Try not to worry too much now. You can't change what you said and it might not be as bad as you think.

cherry2727 Fri 20-Jul-18 21:16:51

Awww op- massive hugs to you! Don't be so tough on yourself. Flowers for having the drive to apply for the job , prepare for the interview and actually go for it!
Use this as an experience and think ahead. Try to think about what you can do to ensure that you interview better next time ( if you don't get this job!).

I've just been offered a job after two rounds of interview. I was very confident in the first round and I was given very good feedback which I kinda expected. Was invited for a second interview with the CEO and I thought that I was awful!! I left the interview feeling very deflated. Kinda like how you're feeling now !
Was very surprised to be offered the job a few days later and at the top end of my offered salary ! Best of luck to you op and don't lose faith - you never know !

Gnashingofteeth Fri 20-Jul-18 21:19:21

grin at Processedpea. SafeFerris good luck.

I just want that feeling to go away. I wish I could block it all out. I won't hear until around next week or the week after.

donajimena Fri 20-Jul-18 21:24:37

Tell yourself you didn't get it and start looking for the next opportunity. If you do get it it will be a bonus. If you didn't you haven't sat on your laurels.

Gnashingofteeth Fri 20-Jul-18 21:26:25

Bravo, bravo Cherry. Well done! I love hearing about successes like yours. I wait in hope but I can't get out of my head some of my weak responses. When I was asked about my area of development I went blank and offered up an area that was important for the job. I tried to rescue the situation by saying I am addressing it and have been doing well so far. Area of development is a typical question and I for some reason my brain gave up on me.

Mishappening Fri 20-Jul-18 21:27:43

Oh it is so hard when you are in a situation where you are being judged - so very hard. Don't beat yourself up.I know it is hard to stop yourself going over it again and again but that feeling will subside. Panic not - the world is still turning and you will live to fight another day.

AJPTaylor Fri 20-Jul-18 21:27:44

ah feck it.
its what i call the "arse wrenching suddem memory syndrome" with added flash backs.

tryagainsardines Fri 20-Jul-18 21:29:58

flowers
Interviews are tough! Well done for doing it!

I had an interview once where I sneezed and I'm not even joking, a bubble came out of my nose.
We just sat there, all of us looking at this bubble and trying our best to act like it wasn't there and didn't happen.

BubblesBuddy Fri 20-Jul-18 22:51:59

So many of us have had crap interviews. Sitting on a seat that all but collapsed was a great start to one interview. Various others asked questions where I truly flannelled for a lot of the time. I have also aced a couple that I thought were not brilliant but you never know.

Don’t forget the interviewers should never be judging you. They have other information about you. Hopefully an application form gives them an insight into your capabilities. Interviews should be about substantiating the initial impressions from the application form and any tests you have done. They should be a conversation and definitely should not have right and wrong answers. However the interviewers will have a checklist of what they are looking for and we don’t always make the grade. I hope you do though.

Gnashingofteeth Sat 21-Jul-18 09:23:13

Thanks everyone. I wish I could say I feel better this morning, but I don't. I can't stop replaying things in my head. I'll get over it.

picklepost Sat 21-Jul-18 09:46:22

Aw

Interviews suck.

I was a blathering idiot in my most recent one. (Got the job)

Previous disasters make me laugh now x

AsleepAllDay Sat 21-Jul-18 09:57:27

One time I had an interview & bombed so badly that they sent the rejection by lunchtime!

I've found that the only thing that helps me is preparing as much before and rehearsing answers even for easy questions like 'tell me about yourself'

It feels silly & forced but practising supposedly natural responses will help boost your confidence even for really basic stuff like asking about follow ups etc

MaverickSnoopy Sat 21-Jul-18 10:09:03

A previous manager once told me that she knew from my application that I was the person for the job and that the interview was basically just a formality and that she was hoping and praying that I wasn't completely the opposite to what I put on my application. Rightly or wrongly, she said I wouldn't have been able to do much wrong in the interview.

Also remember that even if you don't get the job, this is excellent experience and you will learn from it for next time.

goodbyeeee Sun 22-Jul-18 09:39:59

Oh Lordy. I have a competency interview on Tuesday. Internal promotion to a senior role. Public Sector. I'm bricking it.

Have prepped my "situations" but worried I'm going to waffle and miss out key buzz words/actions or that my example won't quite match the question. Some of my examples are quite hard to explain without getting technical. One member of the panel is external so can't assume knowledge and will need to explain more.

Hadn't thought about being asked about an area of development for me. It would be my first managerial role with a team . Could I say I'd be looking for opportunities to develop my coaching/leadership skills?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in