A job involving Disability that genuinely helps?

(5 Posts)
PurpleDaisy2114 Thu 19-Jul-18 19:04:20

Hi all, I am in early forties. Currently employed part time with DWP, have permanent EO grade but currently on HEO fixed term contract. Have a degree in English. 2 kids with SEN, both have Autism although different types.
My colleague says the charity sector would suit me but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'd like a job that doesn't involve me pushing an agenda my heart isn't in and would instead like to genuinely help and support people with disabilities or work in that arena.
I'm very organised and solution focused but not good at networking and pushing myself forward.
What do you think? Any ideas?

OP’s posts: |
PurpleDaisy2114 Fri 20-Jul-18 21:43:35

Thank you for the PMs that I received smile

Devilishpyjamas Sat 21-Jul-18 07:29:21

Hands on with the people with LD’s or more strategic?

I wouldn’t work for a large charity (small one may be okay). The large ones act like corporates with all the things that are wrong in that model. In the worst cases the people with disabilities can become (essentially) commodities. Being a charity doesn’t seem to protect against that.

flopsyandjim Sat 21-Jul-18 09:44:49

charity work tends to be lower paid than public sector and less stable - reliant on grants etc, so jobs are not always permanent.

As a public sector worker myself who is quite bored, I wouldn't bother.

Why not try for one of the DWP community partner roles?

PurpleDaisy2114 Sat 21-Jul-18 17:00:08

Not sure Devilish!
Yes, have heard of Community partner roles but those roles finish next year I think.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in