Handing my notice in - awkward!

(11 Posts)
adele8585 Wed 27-Jun-18 21:07:24

I started a new job only a few weeks ago and I can't deal with the micromanagement culture. It's driving me mad.

An old colleague has pulled some strings and found me an opportunity where they work. I want to go for it but I'm very worried how it will go down with my current employer, it's giving me sleepless nights thinking about how awkward it will be!

I know they will be really cross and probably give me a negative reference, which could destroy the new opportunity. Advice please!

OP’s posts: |
Rollercoaster1920 Wed 27-Jun-18 21:16:20

Very hard to give a negative reference these days. Don't stress about it.

purplemunkey Wed 27-Jun-18 21:34:56

If you only started a few weeks ago don't even use them as a reference, use your previous employer.

I wouldn't worry about handing in notice after a few weeks, you don't owe them anything. This is what probation periods are for and they work both ways.

You tried something and it didn't work out, it happens. I left a job after only a month or so, I explained it pretty much like that in interview for new job and they understood. Don't sweat it.

Polarbearflavour Wed 27-Jun-18 22:38:21

It’s just a job, who cares what they think!

You can leave it off your CV and references for most larger companies these days only give a standard HR reference with dates of employment.

Polarbearflavour Wed 27-Jun-18 22:39:23

Plus, if your employer wanted to get rid of you, especially within the probation period, they would with no qualms whatsoever. We are all just numbers. wink

daisychain01 Thu 28-Jun-18 04:58:42

I know they will be really cross and probably give me a negative reference

Don't rely on them for any reference, you have the right to state a preference over which employer gives you a reference. If you've only been there a few weeks, why would you even use them, they aren't in a position to give anything meaningful anyway.

runningkeenster Thu 28-Jun-18 10:04:22

As others have said, they wouldn't think twice about letting you go if it suited them, so just cut and run. How much notice do you have to give? A week?

Do it.

Sorry10 Thu 28-Jun-18 14:24:17

Your new employer probably wont ask for a reference from your current employer anyway as its only a few weeks. Go for the new job you can explain that you left because you are not happy don't have to go into reasons.

WearyAlready Thu 28-Jun-18 19:01:44

I'm in almost exactly the same position as you, OP, so I'm following this with interest. I hope things work out for you, I know what it's like to feel miserable.

DevaDiva Fri 29-Jun-18 17:14:08

You need to do what's right for you. Many years ago I was in this situation. I was just 2 days into my new job when I got offered another one that I thought I hadn't got! I struggled with letting people down but knew that the second job was the one that I really wanted, if it feels like the right thing to do it probably is.

ICouldBeSomebodyYouKnow Sun 01-Jul-18 23:29:29

People do this all the time. If it's a better opportunity, go for it and don't look back - you're not going that way smile !

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in