Son been told he can't come to work in case he has scabies 😳

(5 Posts)
Ledkr Thu 14-Jun-18 08:22:46

My ds 30 had a kidney transplant 2 years ago and is on lots of med which can give him some pretty weird symptoms.
He works for a bathroom company in a warehouse, he has a contract but they don't pay sick pay.
Yesterday he woke up with a rash on his hands and a bit on his body.
He called work and mentioned that he wanted get it checked in case it was scabies. Gp said it's not scabies and he gave him some cream.
He went into work but later was called to the office and told he has to go home until it is cured which may be 2 weeks (they looked this up on the net) also that everyone else in the factory knows he might have scabies and are "pissed off" as they fear they may have caught it from touching the machinery 😳😑
He is on one income and gets no sick pay so will be unable to pay his rent etc. I'm not even sure he can claim ssp unless gp gives him a bloody sick note.
I am also questioning the confidentiality issue of the whole factory knowing his business.
He's going to citizens advice today but I'm not sure what to do next.
Can anyone advise? Surely this isn't correct.

OP’s posts: |
BakedBeans47 Thu 14-Jun-18 08:45:04

Will his doctor give him a note to confirm it’s not scabies?

prh47bridge Thu 14-Jun-18 09:30:12

Everyone else in the factory knowing he might have scabies, if true, is a serious breach of confidentiality. Your son should point out to his employer that this is a breach of GDPR.

The GP has said it is not scabies and, presumably, thinks he is fit for work and not contagious. I presume the employer does not have an independent medical opinion. Your son should therefore point out to them that, as he is not sick and is available for work, they must pay him in full.

wormery Thu 14-Jun-18 16:10:44

Is this in the UK. Firstly that is a major confidentiality breach. Secondly his GP has confirmed it is not scabies, can he get a letter from Dr stating what it is and what cream he has been given. Scabies does not take 2 weeks to cure, that is rubbish, people who do have it apply cream overnight, shower in the morning and go to work as normal. Is this a large organisation, do they have a h.r, and occupational health department who need to be contacted. Scabies cannot be caught from machinery, again that is nonsense. You need to contact ACAS urgently. If this is normal behaviour from this employer I would suggest he gets another job, appalling.

wormery Thu 14-Jun-18 16:16:48

There is a lot of info on nhs site which you might find useful

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in