Talk

Advanced search

Signed off work from a small business

(5 Posts)
lardymclardy Wed 13-Jun-18 18:56:24

Hello there,

I have been signed off from work for 2 weeks for anxiety and depression. My depression is ongoing and my employer is aware of this and just 'doesn't get' that I need some time as my mental health has worsened following my Nan's death.
It is a very small Ltd company and I completely understand that he doesn't get it, and that's fine but I have been told I HAVE to go in to show him how to do some things in the office. So I am going in tomorrow.
Also he doesn't pay sick pay. Am I right in thinking I am legally entitled to SSP?
Just looking for some advice please really. In an ideal world I will take these 2 weeks to get myself back on track and return to work, however I think after only a year of working there I will get my marching orders.

Thank you in advance.

kimber83 Wed 13-Jun-18 19:40:30

what if you'd been signed off with a broken leg for X weeks?
Would your boss demand that you go into the office from hospital or something?

No?

Then he needs to have proper business planning in place to cover stuff like this; that's what part of running a business entails.

lardymclardy Wed 13-Jun-18 21:23:10

I completely understand kimber and told him this when called to say I was signed off - but you need to come in today - I CAN'T, then you need to come in tomorrow - I CAN'T.
I don't think it's rocket science, I have been declared unfit for work for whatever reason - but, but you need to come in... Aargh!

I'm not exactly doing this for a laugh and know now that my job is on the line.

I'm only going in tomorrow as I am responsible for all admin/payroll etc and I haven't even had my May wages yet as there was no money. That much needed money went in on Monday, in spite of 2 requests he has still not paid my May wages.

NT53NJT Sat 16-Jun-18 00:00:11

No matter how small a business is if it cannot cope with 1 person off for 2 weeks then it needs some.serious retraining of staff to be able to cover. I was recently off for the same reason and I went back today for half a day and everything has gone to shit which has caused me more stress which I don't need because I need to re do aloy of the work and sort everything out. Having a meeting with the MD on Monday .

prh47bridge Sat 16-Jun-18 08:20:38

You are correct that you are legally entitled to SSP. The size of the business is irrelevant. They must pay assuming you earn at least £116 per week before tax.

Coupled with the other things you say, it sounds to me like your employer has a lot to learn about running a business.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: