Talk

Advanced search

Anybody know about the new revised data protection re: piece workers?

(12 Posts)
Spaghettihead1 Tue 12-Jun-18 20:56:16

So, my employers weren’t prepared for the changes on may 25th and it feels like they’ve gone a bit overboard.
I’m looking for advice regarding piecework employees as it’s a tricky scenario, it seems, in the case of keeping a check on earnings.

My employer will no longer return our time sheets and their calculation of what We’ve earned to check before they release the wages into our banks.
Mistakes are made often (I discovered a few years ago that they had underpaid me by £2000 over 2years) so I like to keep on top of things.

It’s important that we see our time sheets to see our average hourly rate for the new week and to enable us to work out our earnings.
They are refusing to give out any of the information even to the employee it concerns.
Has anyone any experience in data protection who can help me with solving this?
Thanks

flowery Tue 12-Jun-18 21:02:32

I can't see that sharing that information with the individual concerned would represent a data protection concern. It's your data, so clearly sharing it with you is fine. In fact if you put in a subject access request to see all data held about you, they'd have to include it.

Are they definitely saying the reason they're no longer giving you your timesheets is data protection concerns?

Spaghettihead1 Tue 12-Jun-18 21:44:14

They’ve said that they can no longer give them to us via our supervisor -as what was done before - because she isn’t allowed to see the info.
We asked if they could be sealed in an envelope so they’re private, they said no.
And we’re not allowed to go to the office to find out - my guess on that is it would take too much time to get through the amount of people going each week.

pacer142 Wed 13-Jun-18 12:03:32

Can you not photocopy or take a screen shot of your timesheet before you submit it?

Spaghettihead1 Wed 13-Jun-18 12:57:31

We calculate our earnings from the time sheets at the end of the day and hand our time sheets into the supervisor. These get taken to the office the next morning.
What we received back from the office weekly was their calculations of our earnings and our hourly average for the next week (which we need to be able to calculate our earnings if we have been “off” piecework) it is their calculations they’re no longer letting us see. So if they’ve made a mistake we can’t spot it anymore as we’ve no idea of what our average is.
It’s so frustrating!!!

prh47bridge Wed 13-Jun-18 15:15:18

Put in a subject access request every week. Get all your colleagues to do the same.

Spaghettihead1 Wed 13-Jun-18 18:41:01

I’ve been thinking about doing that since flowery suggested it.
I’ve just googled how to do that though, and read that the employer can demand a £10 administration fee - they most probably will because they’re like that - which puts me off a bit.

EmmaC78 Wed 13-Jun-18 18:43:25

You generally can't charge for Subject Access requests under the new legislation.

EmmaC78 Wed 13-Jun-18 18:43:51

The £10 fee was under the 1998 Act

flowery Wed 13-Jun-18 18:43:55

They can’t charge a fee anymore see ICO guidance for making a request here

greenlanes Wed 13-Jun-18 18:53:58

Call the ICO. Information Commissioners Office. They are the regulator for this piece of legislation. They are quite busy at the moment but will get back to you. They have been very helpful to me and I am sure will be interested to help.

Spaghettihead1 Wed 13-Jun-18 20:15:50

Ahhh thankyou emma flowery and greenlanes
Thats great info! I will pass this onto my colleagues and submit a request in the morning.
I’ll also call the ICO to see if they can come up with any suggestions I can put to my employers to fix this stupidity. Everything we’re suggesting is being met with a NO angry
Absolutely brilliant, Thankyou again!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: