So I reported my bullying colleague.....now what?

(17 Posts)
fedupslummymummy Fri 08-Jun-18 17:10:48

Been with the same company 7 months. Team are lovely, as is my line manager. Colleague doing the same job as me in a different department has had it in for me from day one. Yesterday I snapped and reported her behaviour to my boss. My boss has spoken to her boss and has promised me they will do something. I’ve a lot going on at home, my son has mental health issues and I just couldn’t put up with it any longer without resorting to unprofessional behaviour. I’m not sleeping at night and the whole thing is a nightmare. So....what happens now? Obviously we still have to work together and I’m very nervous of her. Anyone else been in this situation and how did you deal with it?

OP’s posts: |
WazFlimFlam Fri 08-Jun-18 17:11:52

You just have to wait and see what they do I am afraid.

redexpat Fri 08-Jun-18 18:48:41

I would keep a diary of any future behaviour, comments etc.

Failingat40 Fri 08-Jun-18 19:10:10

Be careful here.

Absolutely do not trust or rely on any professionalism from either line manager in dealing with her.

Unfortunately I speak from bitter experience.

You are the weakest link. 7 months service is cannon fodder.

Join a union and note everything down from now on.

It's thoroughly shit that there are people like this everywhere.

fedupslummymummy Fri 08-Jun-18 19:28:48

Thanks failingat40 it did cross my mind that this might be the case, she has been in post for years. The simplest thing may be for me to find another job which is disappointing. I have no idea what this woman has against me but it angers me that she may get away with it.

wormery Sun 10-Jun-18 22:56:06

I expect all they will do is suggest a meeting between you which can be difficult, she will deny it, the manager will just set boundaries and say you have to work together . Unless there have been other complaints against her it will probably just be put down to a personality clash. I have no faith in managers dealing with bullying fairly or objectively but you may be lucky. Do keep a record of it though, join a union if you can, keep out of her way, be polite, don't let them see you angry or upset, they are not worth it.

Spanglyprincess1 Sun 10-Jun-18 23:07:00

From a manager's point of view it's a nightmare to resolve. As he said she said.
What exactly is the behaviour you find bullying? Do you have a diary of incidents? if not then keep one and any evidence.
Is there a way of less contact at work between parties?

fedupslummymummy Mon 11-Jun-18 06:27:03

Yes I’ve kept a diary. Incidents include belittling me for things I’ve done (in her eyes) wrong via email and copying in my team, cancelling work that I’ve arranged (and leaving me to explain to bemused colleagues why the work hasn’t been done) and loudly exclaiming on every email sent on what is wrong (in her eyes) with it. I can’t have a phone call without her butting in or making comments while I’m on the phone. If I stick up for myself she just smirks and walks off. My line manager has just advised me to stay away from her and not get drawn into a conversation with her, nor be alone with her. My meeting is this morning.
However.....in a strange chain of events over the weekend I’ve been offered a job interview elsewhere. So I’m going for it!!! Life is too short to be unhappy at work.

JustGettingStarted Mon 11-Jun-18 06:30:05

Good luck with your job interview.

PUGaLUGS Mon 11-Jun-18 06:54:36

Good luck with your interview.

I would second joining a union.

I left my last job because of a bullying line Manager. I should have taken it further but didn’t - she has been there 36 years and I know she has form for this but nothing appears to have been done. I did join a union and kept a diary. I wish now I eoukd have had the guts to report her, although in my exit interview I gave HR all of my notes. On my last day (literally a minute before I walked out of the door) I emailed all of my notes to the CEO and Directors. Apparently now she is being as nice as pie to everyone hmm.

I love my new job however and even better it’s about 5 mins from home, so it all worked out for me in the end.

MilesHuntsWig Mon 11-Jun-18 07:04:50

Good luck with the job interview and I hope your managers have some backbone/can be arsed to deal with it properly.

fedupslummymummy Mon 11-Jun-18 07:50:12

Thank you everyone!!! I’m glad you’re now happy Pugalugs it’s shit that there’s so many nasty individuals out there.

Aprilshouldhavebeenmyname Mon 11-Jun-18 07:53:43

Maybe offer her a coffee before you leave and stick a laxative in it?
Joking.
Maybe....

Spanglyprincess1 Mon 11-Jun-18 10:45:33

Defo go for the interview and good luck.
That has eveidence eg email chains so therefore is easier to deal with from a management point of view, so hopefully will be dealt with. Just keep a log and join a union if you want to.

Bluetrews25 Mon 11-Jun-18 11:06:32

Good luck with interview.
Get out before it gets nasty. Management always side with the senior or longer serving person. Facts are irrelevant.

wormery Mon 11-Jun-18 12:27:31

Good luck with your interview, lady luck seems to be on your side. keep us posted. Don't worry about old bully boots, let her flounce about.

GardenGeek Mon 11-Jun-18 12:32:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in