Mat leave, holiday entitlement and change in hours

(8 Posts)
crumble9 Tue 05-Jun-18 22:34:27

Hi all,

I'm not quite sure how the process works, and there's not much info in our company handbook.

I'm currently on Mat leave from a management role in retail. I worked full time previously.

I organised my Mat leave to finish with enough time to take my accrued holiday for the year until the end of the year.

However, I would like to go back part time.
My question is, If I tell the company this, will I stop accruing my holiday at the full time rate, or as it has been agreed in writing I can insist the change in contract happens at the end of the holiday leave?

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
newmummalion Tue 05-Jun-18 23:04:47

I think you would have accrued at full time rate for the length of your mat leave. So say full time entitlement is 20 days. If mat leave is 12 months you would have accrued 20 days (plus bank hols). If mat leave 9 months you would have accrued 15 days plus bank hols that fell in the 9 months. You should be able to use all accrued days regardless of if you go back full or part time. (As far as I understand!) I hope that helps!confused

crumble9 Wed 06-Jun-18 05:50:10

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping. It makes quite a difference with my pay

fivehundredguys Wed 06-Jun-18 06:27:22

This is interesting! I've just been paid my holiday from mat leave at my reduced, returning hours - I wasn't sure if this was correct (I didn't think it was!) also management role in retail.

StealthPolarBear Wed 06-Jun-18 06:32:24

I got told reduced hours at one point by hr at work mentioned it on a thread on here and was categorically told that was wrong

insertimaginativeusername Wed 06-Jun-18 06:36:03

I think it depends when your contract changes take affect.

flowery Wed 06-Jun-18 08:14:12

You accrue holiday at the rate of your contracted hours. Therefore as long as you specify in your flexible working request that you want your hours reduction to take effect on the date you return from maternity leave, your holiday accrual during maternity leave will not be affected.

crumble9 Wed 06-Jun-18 08:21:34

Ah glad it's not just me that's a little confused by this!
Thanks for responses

I think in my formal request I will date it from the actual date I plan to go back and not the end date of mat leave. I know I'm going to need to step down from my management role so the pay difference will be quite a bit

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in