Moving up in NHS or stay at same level

(4 Posts)
applegate79 Sat 02-Jun-18 22:10:41

Advice needed. I’m a midwife in NHS and I’ve been seconded for a year to a role which is 50% clinical and 50% management. It’s been great experience and good for my CV, but I’ve done masses of work in my own time, can’t switch off from it and find it really stressful although a lot of the time i do enjoy this challenge too. It’s the same amount of hours but the shorter management days as opposed to 12.5 hr shifts mean I’m in more frequently. There’s a possibility of it becoming permanent and I just don’t know what to do, as I’m not sure I want it but suspect from a career point of view it would be wise.
So options are back to full time clinical (on same banding) which I love or a permanent change to this role of 50/50 management/clinical which long term could ( and probably will) lead to further career progression . I’m 42 and I’ve got 4 dc 2x older 20 and 18 and 2x smaller 7and 10, I feel stretched at home although dh is an excellent support and home stuff is split 50/50 between us, my hearts not quite in carrying on with this job but I don’t want to reduce my chances of moving up the career ladder in the future for the sake of not pushing on through a couple of tricky years when I feel more of a pull to being at home more. Any advice??

OP’s posts: |
Pinkprincess1978 Sat 02-Jun-18 22:49:44

It doesn't sound like you want to continue. The future in important but sinus the here and now. Only you can make this choice.

Personally I would go with the extra responsibility with future gain but that's me.

NotARegularPenguin Sat 02-Jun-18 22:55:10

Future career.

Do you really want to work until 67 as a clinical midwife, nights, weekends, long shifts? Fuck that.

applegate79 Sun 03-Jun-18 08:55:45

Thanks, what you’re saying is what my logical side is definitely saying and on a good day I do like the extra challenge. My head is telling me the sensible thing to do is carry on and part of that reason is not doing another 20 years plus of unsocial hours....

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in