Help! What to do?!

(6 Posts)
Newone16 Fri 01-Jun-18 09:45:17

Hello,
I need some advice. I'm in a bit of a situation right now.
After a number of years in a job i loved i decided i needed to leave as the past year has been very difficult. I wasn't happy, coming home crying every other week etc etc. I've had to serve a significant notice period which is now coming to and end (5 days left) BUT 2 weeks ago i found out i was pregnant, i tried to retract my resignation but it was not excepted. I was heartbroken and felt very anxious/stressed (which is not good for me or the baby), now I've come to terms with it I never wanted to retract it in the first place but i felt i needed security.
But i need a little advice on what to do next. My partner is in a very good job but i still need an income and if i'm not in work i won't receive maternity.
Should i look for a full time job, hide the fact i'm pregnant until my probation is over?? (which i really do not want to do).
I don't know what other options i have. I'm being told i can do temp work up until i'm no longer able to work and then claim maternity through national insurance?? is this true? I'm really stuck! i was hoping someone out there had been through the same and can share there experience with me... the less stress the better!
Thank you

OP’s posts: |
KTD27 Fri 01-Jun-18 09:48:05

You will qualify for maternity allowance if you temp www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance
I went on supply in a long term contract and unexpectedly found myself pregnant. I also unexpectedly found out that because it was a long term contract I qualified for mat leave money too. Not as much as I’d have had in a permanent position but more much more than I expected.

Newone16 Fri 01-Jun-18 10:03:49

That's good to know.
I'll have a look at the link now.
Thank you very much smile

flowery Fri 01-Jun-18 10:23:55

What was your plan with regards to work before you found out you were pregnant? Have you been looking for jobs during your notice period and so far been unsuccessful?

I’d suggest just continuing looking. You won’t be entitled to SMP but you should be entitled to Maternity Allowance which isn’t much different.

Newone16 Sat 02-Jun-18 18:21:44

I was applying for full time jobs, but i feel like i can’t go into a new job knowing i’m pregnant and wait until my probation is up to then tell them. I’m going to sign up to a few agencies and see what sort of temporary work i can get to tide me over until i am due and then apply for maternity allowance. We’ll see. I can’t stress about it as it won’t be good for myself or the baby.

redexpat Sat 02-Jun-18 19:31:53

Of course you can. Dont tell any employers until you legally have to.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in