Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Negotiating on mat leave - not yet prego

(11 Posts)
sadsack12 Sun 27-May-18 22:53:27

Hello,

Looking for advice. I am planning to start TTC in the summer. I am due an appraisal at work in the next few weeks which is an opportunity to ask for a pay rise. I am in a strong position for asking for one right now as I'm taking on a lot of extra duties (read - almost an entire person's job) while covering for my colleague who is currently on mat leave as well as doing my own job. I am the only person in the company who can carry out my role (apart from colleague on mat leave). A replacement would take a lot of training as it is fairly specific to the obscure IT system used, hence them not hiring mat cover for my colleague.

The company offers only statutory maternity leave.

My question - would it be reasonable, instead of a pay rise, to ask for better mat leave terms, moneywise? I would be showing them my cards, although my boss has already joked that I'll be next to have a baby, so probably not very unexpected to them.

Does anyone have experience of doing this?

Also, only having ever worked for companies who pay stat mat leave, what would be a good place to start? In the interest of having all the information I currently earn £23500, due to increase to £25000 once I pass an exam in July.

LivingMyBestLife Sun 27-May-18 22:58:23

Would it not be easier to ask for the pay rise and save the extra? Otherwise you are asking for delayed pay really, doing the extra work now and (hoping!) for payment when you are not working.

It's a pain that they only offer statutory mat leave, but if other employees know they've offered more then they may ask for the same, so you'll probably need a really strong case to push it through.

loveulotslikejellytots Sun 27-May-18 23:01:04

Just playing devils advocate, and not wanting to scare/worry you. But what it if took a long time to conceive? Say it took 18 months, that's 18months of higher wages you've shit out on for a slightly better maternity package. I'd go for the pay rise and save as much as I could.?

Giraffey1 Sun 27-May-18 23:03:17

No, I really wouldn’t do this. Most companies don’t have flexible maternity packages. Just ask for a pay rise based on the reasons you have set out.

ReanimatedMuse Sun 27-May-18 23:04:45

Most companies have far more flexibility over salaries than benefits.

E.g. I could significantly increase my direct reports salaries without causing a drama. Trying to change their mat leave would be virtually impossible.

This has been the same pretty much every where I've worked.

I'd avoid showing your hand for a very unlikely outcome. Take an increase and save the cash.

flumpybear Sun 27-May-18 23:06:06

No, get your pay rise and keep your cards close to your chest
Good luck

flumpybear Sun 27-May-18 23:07:03

Oh and companies rarely like change from their norm as it sets a precedent they'd likely rather not do

SmallBlondeMama Sun 27-May-18 23:11:33

Doesn't sound like a good idea at all. Negotiate for the raise and then save the extra for mat leave. The raise will bump up your salary going forward for your whole career meanwhile mat leave is super temporary.

sadsack12 Sun 27-May-18 23:26:48

Thanks everyone!

I had considered the delayed pay thing as a pro for the company offering it and therefore more chance of getting it. Hadn't thought so much of it taking a while to get pregnant and the missed income by not taking a pay rise now. If I wanted 6 months half pay as the mat leave (is that even good? literally no point of reference here) it would cost them an additional £2700 approx. Which assuming a £2k pay rise I suppose I could get easily enough in the next year or so between starting TTC, falling pregnant, being pregnant etc.

Not so sure of them not wanting to change the norm. I report directly to the FD who holds the purse strings for the whole company and am aware of various ways they "assist" other employees. More of a case by case basis I reckon. Wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of agreement with colleague currently on mat leave.

Thanks ladies, been mulling this one over for a good while now. Who knew all I needed to do was ask mumsnet grin

RomaineCalm Sun 27-May-18 23:41:04

I would be very surprised if a company would commit to enhanced maternity pay for one employee in lieu of a pay rise. It would open all sorts of questions around policy and given that maternity benefits are already regulated and frequently scrutinised by employees, it would open all sorts of cases of perceived unfair treatment.

Negotiate a pay rise and, if you can, save it for when you need the money for maternity leave.

ForgivenessIsDivine Mon 28-May-18 08:13:59

I am not sure how it works in your company but maternity pay is usually written into policy and available on equal terms to all employees. I think they would have a case on their hands if they gave you special maternity benefits.

Negotiate your pay, you could possibly negotiate a bonus for covering your colleague's role while she is on leave.

Also watch out.. if you are managing to cover your colleague's work while she is away and you think that they would do the same in reverse when you are off, you might be looking at fighting for one position in the future.. though this could work in your favour if you both wanted to come back part time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: