Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Give me your best interview tips!

(12 Posts)
RunningOnMusic Sat 26-May-18 21:49:55

I have a Director level job interview coming up in the charity sector that I really want. I am terrible at selling myself but I have noticed less experienced colleagues getting jobs they are not fully qualified for. So I am determined to get this role! I get very positive feedback that I am excellent on the job and a sensitive and encouraging team manager. Please give me your best interview tips so I can up my game! I know I am good at what I do but find that when I talk about my successes I feel I am boasting! Help!

Mishappening Sat 26-May-18 21:53:22

Have some intelligent and relevant questions up your sleeve - they are bound to ask what you want to ask.

Make sure that you have something positive to say about all aspects of your life. If you are a mother, then using that as an example of time management, patience, imagination etc. has always worked for me.

Lots of good luck with your interview.

Comps83 Sat 26-May-18 21:55:06

It’s all in the act . Pretend your an actress auditioning for a role . That’s what I tell myself

Comps83 Sat 26-May-18 21:57:23

You’re *

Taffeta Sat 26-May-18 22:00:43

It’s all about reframing

Eg they ask you a question

A voice in your head says “I’m shit at this! Try not to sound like you’re too bad”

Reframe your thoughts

Think of a time when you did this thing well

Explain what you did and why it was good - even if it sounds like boasting or exaggerating - THEY WILL NEVER KNOW

This is why fuckwits get jobs over deserving people - because they are brazen and oversell themselves

You can’t beat them, join them

daisychain01 Sun 27-May-18 04:33:46

Please give me your best interview tips so I can up my game! I know I am good at what I do but find that when I talk about my successes I feel I am boasting!

Best tip is to change your perspective once and for all that any description of an achievement in an interview is "boasting". That is probably the most career limiting attitude you can have. I'm not criticising, just observing!

amysaurus87 Sun 27-May-18 05:13:53

I work in recruitment, and have interviewed loads of people, it's all about confidence, here's my tips!

* If it's a new company that you're interviewing with do some serious research into them, it shows you are serious about wanting the role, draw on what you find out in the interview (as long as it makes sense to!)

* As a PP mentioned prepare questions that you want to ask, it shows you've thought about the role and the company, and how you might fit with them. For me I always ask about what they think the biggest challenge in the role would be for someone coming into it.

* Don't think of it as boasting, it's hard to talk about achievements but it's not boasting! I like you have making out that I'm superwoman and can do it all by myself, but that's what needs to be done!

* If you can take in little bullet points to remind you of things you have done, it really helps if you get an attack of the nerves.

* Always use 'I' rather than "We even if you're asked about a time you've worked in a team, they want to know what you did!

Hope this helps and good luck OP!

2ndSopranos Mon 28-May-18 10:32:46

Personally I wouldn't use motherhood examples.

Ask questions that demonstrate you've taken the time to look into the organisation. At my most recent (successful!) interview I had a read of the organisation's strategic plan and asked where this department felt it contributed, or something like that.

I'd also recommend thanking the interviewers for the opportunity.

Achafi Mon 28-May-18 10:38:59

It is a conversation, you are good at what you do, they should want you so ask them questions back to see if you want the job.

flumpybear Mon 28-May-18 10:54:20

Answer the question!
Realise you're good enough
Go for it

Then give my a deputy director role please grin

flumpybear Mon 28-May-18 10:55:01

Ps where did you look for adverts? I'm interested in a new role wink

MummyMummy01 Mon 28-May-18 10:57:40

Show passion for the role. Good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: