Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Annual leave calculation

(22 Posts)
BrieAndChilli Sat 26-May-18 17:34:29

I will be working 32.5 hours a week. 2 normal days and 3 shorter days (finish 3.30)

My holiday allocation will be 26 days + bank hols.

How do I work out my annual leave? I work every day mon-fri just different amounts of hours ( same each week) and will be salaried.

Is it best to say each holiday day is 6.5 hours regardless of whether I take a Monday off (when I work 7.5 hours) or a Tuesday (when I work 6)??
Or will I need to convert into hours and then each time I want to take time off work out the hours etc?? (So technically could only take the 6 hot days off and gain some extra days of annual leave??!!

TittyGolightly Sat 26-May-18 17:36:14

You’ll need to convert it into hours and use the number of hours needed to cover each specific day.

How many hours do full timers work?

BrieAndChilli Sat 26-May-18 17:44:16

They work 37.5 hours (with an unpaid hour for lunch on top of that) on my shorter days I will have 1/2 hour lunch.

It’s easy to work out of you only work say 3 full days a week or you work 5 days but same hours each day. It’s the fact that each day is different hours which confusing me!!

thekingfisher Sat 26-May-18 17:46:42

You need to do what titty said to calculate and account for your holiday days. It's what I do with all no regular part time staff.

TittyGolightly Sat 26-May-18 18:30:42

It’s not difficult. It’s completely normal.

Assuming the leave year runs 1st April to 31st March:

Full timers get 26 + 7 = 33 days
* 7.5 = 247.5 hours
/37.5 = 6.6
*32.5 = 214.5 hours for the year.

BrieAndChilli Sat 26-May-18 19:27:41

Isn’t bank holidays 8 days a year??
2 x may, 1 x aug, 2 x easter, 2x xmas and 1x new year??

Stickmangate Sat 26-May-18 19:38:18

The number of bank holidays depends on when Easter falls. If it’s early one year and late the next you could end up with more bank holiday hours in one year. Happened last year

BrieAndChilli Sat 26-May-18 19:58:44

That’s makes sense.
How would the bank holidays work as I am starting 2 months into the leave year (and since 1st April we have already had 3 bank holidays) will I still get 10/12 of the bank holiday hours even though technically I will only need 4/7 for the rest of the year until 31st March?
So I can use the unused bank holiday allowance as normal annual leave?!

So bank holiday hours for the year are
7*7.5 = 52.5 hrs
/37.5 *32.5 = 45.5 hours per year
I am starting with only 10 months of the year left so
45.5/12*10 = 37.9 hours

The remaining bank holidays aren’t:
Aug (Mon) 7.5 hrs
Xmas day (tue) 6 hrs
Box day (wed) 6 hrs
New year (tue) 6 hrs

So a total of 25.5 hours needed

Does that mean I get the other 12.4 hours as annual leave???

TittyGolightly Sat 26-May-18 20:12:13

Depends on your company’s policy. Could be proportional amount of bank holidays or only those falling between the relevant dates.

Isleepinahedgefund Sat 26-May-18 20:25:27

You should be able to use the remaining hours as additional leave, I am allowed to. I’m a Civil Servant though. You’d need to check with your employer as to their policy though.

What you tend to find is that sometimes you need all your bank hol hours in a year, sometimes you need to top it up with some of your a/l leave hours, depending on the days you work. I work part time over five days now but when I didn’t work on a Monday I had loads of bank hol leave spare. I used to use it to have a solid chunk of time off at Christmas.

TittyGolightly Sat 26-May-18 20:36:49

I’m a Civil Servant though

NHS uses actual BHs during the period.

sprinklesandsauce Mon 28-May-18 11:03:02

The below is taken from the Gov.uk website. I assumed a start date of 1 June and a holiday period start date of 1 April. You are entitled to 152 hours holiday from June to March. (It can be rounded up but not down) 185 hours for a full holiday year.

www.gov.uk/calculate-your-holiday-entitlement

Calculate holiday entitlement
The statutory entitlement is 151 hours and 35 minutes holiday.

The employer:

can include bank and public holidays as part of the statutory entitlement
must not round down the holiday entitlement, but may round it up
must provide holiday pay during the statutory leave
can provide more paid holiday - this will be in the employment contract and is called ‘contractual leave entitlement’
Previous answers
Start again
Is the holiday entitlement based on:hours worked per weekChange answer to "Is the holiday entitlement based on:"
Do you want to work out holiday:for someone starting part way through a leave yearChange answer to "Do you want to work out holiday:"
What was the employment start date?1 June 2018Change answer to "What was the employment start date?"
When does the leave year start?1 April 2018Change answer to "When does the leave year start?"
Number of hours worked per week?32.5Change answer to "Number of hours worked per week?"

TittyGolightly Mon 28-May-18 11:04:51

That calculation is based on the minimum 28 days per year including bank holidays, not the 33 the OP’s organisation gives. 🙄

What a waste of time!

sprinklesandsauce Mon 28-May-18 11:06:38

* 182 hours not 185, sorry.

You would be best to keep a spreadsheet with the total hours on, then record the hours taken as holiday and keep a reducing balance. If the firm shuts on a bank holiday, then you need to take off the usual hours worked that day. Part timers aren't usually entitled to all bank holidays, but a proportion in comparison to the hours worked against full time hours.

The Gov.uk calculator is a brilliant tool for helping part timers calculate holiday hours.

TittyGolightly Mon 28-May-18 11:15:27

The Gov.uk calculator is a brilliant tool for helping part timers calculate holiday hours.

Not if it doesn’t have the right numbers in it, it isn’t!!

sprinklesandsauce Mon 28-May-18 11:18:07

titty sorry, don't understand, I entered 32.5 hours worked per week as the OP stated?

Or are you saying that the website is incorrect?

TittyGolightly Mon 28-May-18 11:21:06

Yes, but it’s based on the wrong number of days for full timers. I’ve done the calculation for the OP based on the right figures.

TittyGolightly Mon 28-May-18 11:23:57

The govt calculator is based on the statutory minimum of 28 days including bank holidays.

The OP’s employer gives 33 days. So the calculation is wrong in her circumstances.

sprinklesandsauce Mon 28-May-18 11:26:56

titty, there is no need to be quite so rude is there?

and surely if the OP gets 26 days, plus 8 bank holidays, that would make 34 days, which would also make your calculations incorrect?

We all make mistakes, clearly.

sprinklesandsauce Mon 28-May-18 11:31:58

OP, Apologies for the error, I didn't spot that you had 26 days, plus 8 bank holidays. As titty states, the calculator is based on standard holiday hours.

I make it 221 hours, based on 34 days holiday.

TittyGolightly Mon 28-May-18 11:47:44

There are only 7 bank holidays in this financial year.

(As I’ve already explained in this very short thread.)

TittyGolightly Mon 28-May-18 11:49:27

Apologies, I didn’t need to state that there are only 7 BHs this financial year because somebody already had.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: