Giving out CV 'on spec'... old fashioned?

(4 Posts)
alltoomuchrightnow Tue 22-May-18 19:02:40

I'm desperate for a job. I'm applying mainly online but for some local businesses I've just updated my CV to hard copy to hand out (local shops, offices etc, my background is mainly retail management but I'm open to all sorts of work now).
Numerous friends are telling me this isn't the done thing any more and is old fashioned or only what a teenager would do, not a woman in her 40s.
Opinions on this? I thought it might at least help if there's a chance they'd remember a face (no there's no photo on my CV and it's one page only.. I used to work in a career centre so hopefully have got it right!) I have got jobs in this way before but admittedly, not for a very long time.
When I apply online it's rare anyone gets back to me..it's getting so demoralising. I thought I was being proactive but it seems it's not the done thing .
To be honest when I worked in retail I was usually quite impressed if people handed me a CV although I understand this might have been encouraged through JSA. (I'm not able to claim any benefits so this isn't the case with me..it's purely off my own back).

OP’s posts: |
alltoomuchrightnow Tue 22-May-18 19:03:37

Jobs IN this way , rather!

OP’s posts: |
EmpressJewel Tue 22-May-18 21:54:49

I think it would depend upon how the company you approach manages its recruitment process. A large company with a centralised or online recruitment system may not, but a smaller company with a less formal approach may.

It could be worth speaking with the Store Manager if companies you are interested in working with and asking their advice.

EnglishGirlApproximately Tue 22-May-18 21:59:46

I did this a few years ago albeit via generic email, but it was speculative rather than for a vacancy. Out of six I sent I got a call from one and a nice chat saying they weren’t recruiting but liked my CV and wanted to keep me on file, then I heard from another around five months later who invited me to interview and I got the job. They were all small businesses though so less layers of management to go through to get to the decision maker. It’s worth a try OP, why not?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in