Being on call but no work mobile

(10 Posts)
Wishmeluck2018 Wed 16-May-18 18:39:27

So I started this position in February and opt for being on the on call rota because of the extra pay.

Everyone (7 of us) on this rota has a work mobile so they can be called and make work calls. They were already on the rota before new company took over two years ago.

I have been using my personal phone for work at my expense like 4G data and my personal number is available to everyone at work (not a good idea). I am due to travel and I probably will have to use my 4G to get internet connection. I can do without but will make life harder.

I've got new teamleader recently, he saids he will check, doesnt sounds like he is going to get one for me!

Is this totally unfair? Or is this my choice to be on call so either do it or not?

Nothing on my contract regarding mobile phones, nor have my previous one but I had one anyway because we sometimes so out of hours work.

Any advice or suggestion will be grateful.

OP’s posts: |
Wishmeluck2018 Wed 16-May-18 18:42:00

I mean my previous employer provided work mobile without being mention in the contract. We sometimes do out of hours work.

Justmuddlingalong Wed 16-May-18 18:44:17

Retract you on call status.

AmazingGrace16 Wed 16-May-18 18:51:52

"I currently no longer have access to a personal phone due to water damage/smashed screen/losing it. Please can you let me know when a work phone can be provided whilst I'm on call as there is nothing in my contract stating I have to provide one"

Wishmeluck2018 Wed 16-May-18 19:28:16

Thanks for your replies, I can retract my on call status. I guess I've got no leg to stand on even though it's totally unfair.

EBearhug Thu 17-May-18 08:42:24

We all get provided work phones if we do on-call. I don't mind using my own phone for local calls, but I'm not calling the US or India at my own expense for work purposes.

I would not be doing on-call if they didn't provide a mobile phone. If the rest of the team has phones, so should you.

(Also, no amount of money really compensates me being woken at 3am, but I would feel I would be letting the rest of my team down if I refused to do on-call, so that's mostly why I do.)

Aw12345 Fri 18-May-18 21:04:59

I did an on call job for 2 years and was expected to use my own phone... maybe that was silly of me I dont know!?!

:-)

wantmorenow Fri 25-May-18 16:16:27

If it's worth it to you to keep doing it financially and you want to, why not get an old fashioned or old unused 'brick' phone with a PAY sim which is just for work. Lock it away unless you are on call. Separate work and home for less than £20. You will be meeting their basic expectation of being contactable then.

Wishmeluck2018 Sat 26-May-18 10:54:31

I am getting one smile My manager wasn't sure because he doesn't have one himself but he isn't on the on call rota. May be he worried the look of discrimination of me being the only female member who doesn't get a phone? Sometimes I feel being looked down from him, it makes me feel better to think I am there for the money rather than the job.

wantmorenow Sat 26-May-18 12:56:15

Good news

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in