Offered new job out of NHS WWYD?

(12 Posts)
MrsKOBrien Sun 13-May-18 20:41:47

Hi,
I have wanted to leave the NHS for sometime (after a 22 year career) due to crazy working hours and working many weekends/nights. Plus, I am bored and there is no scope for jumping a band.
I applied for a role in a company that makes equipment that we use in our job (so, I am used to using them and know a lot about them). Had 2 interviews and they offered me the role last week.
Dilemma...
This new job comes with a company car and £8-£10K pay rise.
It does, however, involve travelling and overnight stays (some could be once a week, some 5 days a week). I can work from home at other times. My kids are 14 and 10 btw. I would no longer work nights, late shifts or weekends so this is a bonus.
I am worried about being away from home though. National travel sometimes (I do love driving about though) but mainly up north.
I am desperate to leave the NHS and know that there is no way I will get this salary doing anything else.
DH thinks I should give it a go as we will be mortgage free in 2019 and he said I can always leave if it doesn't work out (once mortgage paid) and do something else.
WWYD? Company car sounds great and it is a GREAT global, successful company to work for.
I can't stay in the NHS as it is affecting my health

OP’s posts: |
Ginmakesitallok Sun 13-May-18 20:43:39

Go for it - I've worked for nhs for 20 years and if I was in your shoes they wouldn't see me for dust.

MrsKOBrien Sun 13-May-18 20:45:03

Oh, and the role also comes with a bonus of 2 months salary each year. I would NEVER get this in the NHS!

OP’s posts: |
mumonashoestring Sun 13-May-18 20:45:12

What would be the down sides? Are any of them significant barriers or are they just different and a bit scary?

To me it sounds like you're more than ready for a change and new opportunities and your family will benefit from having a happier, more confident you around.

Namechange128 Sun 13-May-18 20:46:57

This job sounds amazing! If you were already working nights, then you were effectively away a few times a week anyway, and being home the rest of the time will be a big balance.
How often is the travel, what will your accommodation be like, and how much control will you have over timing? I travel for work (much younger DCs) and it can be hard and I do miss them but you can also find positives to make it work. I use the nights away to either slog massively so I can work shorter hours the rest of the week, or alternatively will take the time to get a good sleep / go for a swim or gym session / catch up with life admin / make a really long call to my mum etc - things that mean when I come home I'm rested and don't mind immersing myself in family and in jobs around the home because I've had some time to myself.
Mortgage free by 2019 sounds like tremendous freedom - congratulations 😊

feliciabirthgiver Sun 13-May-18 20:48:48

Definitely go for it, I think you would find it relatively easy to get back into the NHS if it didn't work out, but this sounds like a great opportunity. I travel a fair bit for work but the bonus of working from home more than makes up for it and the kids cope just fine - congratulations on the job offer.

RandomMess Sun 13-May-18 20:51:24

I loved working away from home a few nights at a time grin seriously it's a bonus!

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Sun 13-May-18 20:52:45

Congratulations! I would give it a go. You can always return to the nhs if you don’t like it, maybe not exactly the role you are in now but the nhs is unlikely to suddenly start being able to fully recruit any time soon. And yes overnights are similar to working night shifts but without the disruption to your sleep pattern.

Faultymain5 Mon 14-May-18 20:16:36

To me this is a no brainer.

It sounds like you've come to the end if your NHS life. Embrace private sector. Good luck.

xQueenMabx Mon 14-May-18 20:27:57

That sounds like a brilliant opportunity! You should definitely give it a try. The nhs is so short just now I'm sure you would get back in if it doesnt work out.

GRW Mon 14-May-18 22:16:16

I left the NHS to work for a hospice service, and had to leave the NHS Pension scheme. I don't regret it, but it is worth maintaining the NHS Pension in your new role if there is an option to do so.

Stormy76 Fri 18-May-18 20:02:17

Take it. Move on and never look back lol ....as fellow NHS worker I would be gone already. It sounds like a challenge but one where you are going to be valued.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in