Talk

Advanced search

Interview tips

(11 Posts)
ryanne Sun 22-Apr-18 20:00:15

Does anyone have any useful interview tips for calming nerves and preventing the dreaded brain fog?
I have an interview this week for a job I know really well, and I have all the experience needed. I find in any interview situation, my ability to speak coherently and remember the examples I want to use just dissapears and I become a babbling mess.
It seems to be worse the more I want the job, and I really want this, it would literally change my life.

All advice welcome, I'll try anything!

redexpat Sun 22-Apr-18 20:33:59

My caseworker at the kobcenter told me to RELAX because i seemed desperate (I was) and that was the most offputting thing. Know that you are good enough. I came second for the next job and got the one after that.

Gwhit Sun 22-Apr-18 20:41:49

Always ask if theres anything that 'alarmed' them about your CV/Interview. Maybe use less dramatic language than 'alarmed'

tigerrun Sun 22-Apr-18 20:48:34

Breathe, make eye contact, smile & let small silences happen rather than try to fill them (same when negotiating I find). Also getting perspective... in the big scheme of things this doesn't matter, there will be other jobs, it is just a job. I think if you take it calmly and, perversely, 'care less' you will lose the desperation and babbling I find. Good luck!

Babyroobs Mon 23-Apr-18 09:10:05

I'm watching with interest as I have an interview tomorrow. I'm not desperate for the job so I'm hoping that will help with nerves. It doesn't help that I had a bit of a meltdown a few months ago in front of one of the people who will be interviewing. I really want to come across as strong and confident for this reason ! I've never been for a job I didn't get but think this may be the first !

maxelly Mon 23-Apr-18 15:45:58

Some things that have helped me in the past...

-Be conscious of your body language, smile and make eye contact. You will likely come across as friendly and confident even if you don't speak very fluently!

-Before answering each question, take a small pause in which you take a deep breath and mentally make sure you have understood the question and have your answer, ask them to repeat the question if you haven't or repeat it back to them to check). If you need thinking time take a sip of water. Do not launch right into answering as soon as you hear the question, this is prime territory for getting the wrong nuance or losing your train of thought!

-Rehearse your answers beforehand (not just in your head- speak out loud to yourself or a family member) and use a structure to minimise nervous waffling. I use STAR (situation task action result) for questions which need an example and 3 bullet points for those that don't (e.g. why you want the role).

-This is a bit cheesy but a little 'mantra' that you repeat to yourself on the way there and while you are waiting to be called in can keep you in the right frame of mind e.g. I tell myself 'I am cool calm and confident', or sometimes I do a little breathing exercise, just as something other than nerves to focus on - have to remember not to talk out loud and freak out the receptionist or the man next to me on the bus though blush

Good luck and remember to come back and tell us how it went!

daisychain01 Mon 23-Apr-18 19:11:35

Remember they want you to be the solution to their vacancy "problem", so try to be that person.

Before you leave for the interview, practice some deep controlled breathing and stretching (arms, shoulder rolls etc) so your body language is relaxed not crunched up.

Read and reread their role spec, ensure you focus on the must have criteria, and have answers for those, in terms of what unique skills you match for the role and try to remember just one or two really great examples that you feel proud of from previous roles. Try to bring them into the conversation, any way you can! For example, I remember thinking in advance that having emotional intelligence is a very sought after quality, so I found a way of including it as an example of why I would be good for the role.

Good luck!

Babyroobs Tue 24-Apr-18 19:56:54

well my interview involved a strange group exercise with five other candidates, an individual interview and a competency test. I can't say it went really but I managed to answer all the questions reasonably confidently.

MeanTangerine Tue 24-Apr-18 19:59:54

Google a list of interview questions for the role you're applying for.

If you live with another adult get them to ask you the questions, even just while you're around the house or whatever.

If you don't, ask them of yourself in front of a mirror.

Practise practise practise.

ryanne Thu 26-Apr-18 18:23:26

Just coming back to update - I got the job smile
Thank you to everyone that commented, keeping calm was key I think.

Babyroobs Thu 26-Apr-18 22:03:51

well done op that's fantastic. I didn't get mine but not too bothered.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: