Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

I want to work but not sure how I can! Help!?

(19 Posts)
Robson217 Sun 22-Apr-18 19:02:09

hello
After been a stay at home mum since 2014 I'm so ready to start working again, my problem is my hubby works a 3 shift pattern 2-10 6-2 and night shift. I need a job that can work around this My oldest starts reception in September and my youngest goes to nursery 2 mornings a week which we pay for.
I've been looking for months for something that could work and I can't find anything! I don't want to work from home
Any suggestions? Does anyone else work around a shift pattern?

GlitterGlue Sun 22-Apr-18 19:06:19

I don't think you're going to be able to manage that. When does your youngest turn three? Or can you afford more childcare before then? You might not make much money, but it'll be a foot back in the door.

Mannix Sun 22-Apr-18 19:10:49

It's hard enough returning after a 4 year break without having to fit around a complicated shift pattern! What if you look for jobs that don't fit, and organise childcare? Even if you're barely breaking even on childcare costs, it's still probably worth it for the future. When your youngest starts school you'll be in a much stronger financial position if you've got a few years of experience rather than trying to find something at that point.

Robson217 Sun 22-Apr-18 19:11:09

We can't afford the childcare and won't get help unless I work at least 16 hours. It's frustrating as I get really lonely been home alone whilst everyone else is at work. My youngest is coming up two in June we looked into the free childcare for 2 year olds but we don't qualify.

Mannix Sun 22-Apr-18 19:12:02

Also, once you've got a job it's often much easier to negotiate a flexible working pattern (to fit around the shifts) rather than looking for a job advertised with those hours.

Temporaryanonymity Sun 22-Apr-18 19:12:38

I'm a single mother and work full time. I rely totally on breakfast and after school club. I guess that is what you will be need to do.

GlitterGlue Sun 22-Apr-18 19:13:37

Well 16 hours is only two days, and you're paying for one day already.

Robson217 Sun 22-Apr-18 20:17:49

I'm just worried about the cost of childcare I have experience in several jobs like retail, waitress, bar work I have qualifications in health and social care it's just finding something that will some how work. I don't have anyone around me to help look after the girls either so my only option would be to pay for childcare I obviously just need to do what they've said and find some form of work to get help with the costs 🤔 thank you for your replies x

NapQueen Sun 22-Apr-18 20:19:32

4x 4h shifts a week or two full days would get you up to the 16h for the childcare help. What about admin?

KadabrasSpoon Sun 22-Apr-18 20:22:36

What did you do before? Could you go freelance? That's what I ended up doing and can do bits when kids in bed etc.

By the way the qualification for the 3 year old funding isn't working 16 hours. It's earning the equivalent of 16 hours at minimum wage. Slightly different as you could earn it in one hour in theory and still qualify.

ZibbidooZibbidooZibbidoo Sun 22-Apr-18 20:24:50

You’re already paying for childcare for a not yet 2 year old despite you not working so you can afford childcare. You’ll be able to afford it even better when you’re bringing in a wage.

What worked for me (single parent -no help from anyone at all) was to become a self employed cleaner. I work mornings after school drop off and as children got older and stayed longer in school I could then work early afternoons too.

Robson217 Sun 22-Apr-18 20:53:33

My mum was a single parent to me and my brother and I always wondered how she managed but she had my grandparents to help. I will keep looking hopefully something will come up I think it may be easier once my oldest is in reception. Really appreciate all your comments! X

Robson217 Mon 23-Apr-18 08:49:00

We can afford the 2 mornings she does that's why she only does 2 mornings. We also have reasons as to why we pay for her to go if she didn't need to I wouldn't bother. I know about the 3 year old free childcare but where I am they also do free child care for 2 year olds and that's what we don't qualify for.
My previous is care work, bar work and waitress. I don't really know much about admin work but I'm literally willing to apply for anything I can in the hopes that they would work around child care if I did manage to go full time x

ZibbidooZibbidooZibbidoo Mon 23-Apr-18 09:23:56

Yes and if you were working you could (obviously!) afford more childcare! You would be bringing in money that would cover her nursery.

ShotsFired Mon 23-Apr-18 09:30:33

Well then bar/waitress work seems the obvious answer for now.

Shifts available at all hours so dad can do childcare while you are out if necessary, and if you prove yourself to be reliable and conscientious a good landlord will have no qualms about give and take with the hours you need. And it gets you that all-important first step back into work/line on your CV. And possibly tips too.

(Also/instead, what about seasonal/agency hospitality? That is very much on a pick and choose basis too.)

Robson217 Mon 23-Apr-18 09:36:04

Thank you all for your help. I'm going to look into bar and waitress work as suggested

kingjofferyworksintescos Mon 23-Apr-18 09:39:50

Care work is around the clock , if you joined a flexibank you could choose your hours to fit

wontbedoingthat Mon 23-Apr-18 10:23:46

I would second care work. I joined a health care agency even though I was previously a teacher. Just couldn't find a way back into work around childcare and my husbands job. You tell them when you're free and they find you shifts. My DH works annoying shift patterns too. At first I only worked one shift a week (about 6hrs bringing in a grand total of £50!) but over time DH started to arrange his shifts so I could be available for more work and I ended up working weekends and he worked during the week more or less. Better rate of pay for me at the weekend too. It's probably one of the few instances where a zero hours contract offers more for you than against you.
One thing - most agencies will want you to complete their training. For me it required a full week which DH had to take as annual leave.
Good luck.

Urapprentice Thu 26-Apr-18 12:22:36

Care work on the bank?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: