Left job off application - how to approach at interview?

(9 Posts)
Stormy76 Fri 27-Apr-18 00:58:56

Oh no, well we all mess up in interviews, just look at it as a learning experience and the next interview will be better

InTheVillaofOrmen Thu 26-Apr-18 20:51:02

Thanks for your advice on this. Leaving off the job caused no issues, I raised it. Unfortunately I spectacularly fucked up the interview anyway and didn't get the job.

OP’s posts: |
Stormy76 Sat 21-Apr-18 07:08:41

Hi
I had a similar issue a few years back and I just put that job down as a temporary role because I left before I had to give a months notice, it was like week 6/7. I would just say that you were not sure that they would want to know about a 'temporary post'. Like you say it will come up and it will look like you are trying to hide something if you suddenly start talking about a job that you just don't like?

Is there anyway that you can add it to the application now? Call HR and say you weren't sure about it needing to be on the application and left it off but now you think that was a mistake?

InTheVillaofOrmen Wed 18-Apr-18 19:03:49

Anyone else? I'm really worried about this. I feel like an idiot.

InTheVillaofOrmen Wed 18-Apr-18 17:39:49

I don't think it'd have been an issue if it wasn't my current role. I read very conflicting advice and really wish I hadn't left it off now sad There's no issues or anything, I'm doing well and everyone is lovely, it's just not for me. I don't want to lie and say it's a temp role because it's not.

BobbinThreadbare123 Wed 18-Apr-18 17:37:56

I left a job off my last application. I was only there a few weeks before I walked as it was appalling. Nobody has cared; I have discussed that role with my bosses and in interview too, but I don't really count it as a job.

jemmstar1980 Wed 18-Apr-18 17:36:56

Sorry you already left it off - I’d say it’s a temp role then if they ask if you are currently employed. I work somewhere for 12 months and hated it - I just said it was a short term project when I started looking around.

Advertisement

jemmstar1980 Wed 18-Apr-18 17:34:04

Don’t leave it off with look untrustworthy, just come up with a very robust answer why you are looking to move on. The job isn’t satisfactory or the company are unable to provide training promised. I intend to only complete my probation period - probation period is a two way thing remember! Not all jobs work out and you can demonstrate you have stuck with other companies!

InTheVillaofOrmen Wed 18-Apr-18 17:25:49

I applied for a new job one month into my current probation. I know my current job isn't for me. I read conflicting advice on what to put on the application - leaving it off / on and left it off. The process had taken a lot longer than anticipated and now 3 months later I have an interview with the new job, and am still on probation in my current role. If I get the job it will obviously come up when sorting out tax.

I wasn't trying to be dishonest here and don't have a history of job hopping. I had planned to bring my current job duties and a reference contact from it to interview and explain why I'm looking for a new opportunity and that I left it off as I was unsure what the protocol was if you'd been in a role a short period of time.

Does that sound OK? Has anyone got any advice on the best way to broach this? I'm worried I've shot myself in the foot here.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in