WWYD

(5 Posts)
DragonNoodleCake Mon 09-Apr-18 19:49:24

So redundancy been expected for the last year, I've been waiting for manufacturing to be finished until I got my notice (due to my role). Completion of manufacturing was dependent on a few factors.

Based on situation I'm expecting my notice end of next week. Then 4 weeks notice and 8 weeks PILON.
I've been applying for internal and external jobs. It's down to 2

1) external - completely different company
...commute is in the opposite direction away from traffic but still 1 hr (current is 1hr in heavy traffic)
...job is a step up in responsibility and very much a coaching mentoring type role, very people focused
...will need to travel 1 week a month some times more sometimes less depending on what's happening but to the same place each time
...basic salary is 20% more
...no bonus/no car allowance/no private healthcare/pension not as good
...it's a newly created job so I'd be making it from scratch my way

2) internal
...mainly just doing analytics reports
...mostly home based
...similar Salary perhaps 5-10% increase
...outstanding benefits! Car, bonus, healthcare, pension
...travel can be often and varied or nothing for months
...love my company they have been generally great just their internal recruitment process is not good

WWYD?
1) offer is on the table
2) awaiting til next week before if I know for definite I have it.

But if I need to decide now to not lose 1 if that's what I go for

What questions should I ask myself?? I think I know, I just want to be sure.

OP’s posts: |
Emma198 Mon 09-Apr-18 21:12:52

I'd accept 1 if you need to make a decision but then if you get offered 2 and decide it's the best way to go, I would withdraw my acceptance of 1. I'd feel bad doing it don't get me wrong, but you have to look after yourself.

I switched from a job that had a 15 mile commute that could take up to an hour due to traffic, to a 75 mile commute that doesn't generally have traffic and takes about 1hr10. I cannot tell you the difference it makes, I hate it. I thought that as I wouldn't be in the car much longer time wise it would be ok. It isn't! X

VioletCharlotte Mon 09-Apr-18 21:32:39

Hmmmm... difficult one, but what a great position to be in! What does your gut tell you?

The first job sounds great on paper, but what do you think it would be like to work there? Do you now much about the culture of the place? This can make or break whether or not you enjoy the job.

The second job sounds like the safer option. I think you need to way up how much you value being able to wfh and saving the travel time, v better salary and progressing with your career.

Let us know what you decide smile

DragonNoodleCake Mon 09-Apr-18 22:36:23

Thanks both, I guess I need to also consider, I'll get my severance package if I take 1 and not with 2 (it is worth approx 7-8 months pay), so that would be in my back pocket for a rainy day and not to be sniffed at.

OP’s posts: |
TroubledLichen Mon 09-Apr-18 22:46:14

A redundancy payout is usually tax free too (unless you’re a higher rate tax payer) so in real terms it’s a lot more than 7-8 months pay. If option 1 is willing to wait for you to be made redundant, and through your consultation period and notice, then financially that’s the best move. But it’s not all about the money. You need to be happy at work. Good luck with the decision!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in