Grievance procedure

(21 Posts)
YesorNope Sun 08-Apr-18 11:46:26

I'm on mat leave currently but am looking for a new job. If I get a new job I will be putting a grievance in due to bullying. Its nhs. Does anyone know the procedure ??

OP’s posts: |
retirednow Sun 08-Apr-18 12:51:18

There will be a grievance policy for where you work, if you can't get hold of a copy then type it in a Google search and the Trust you work for, if you are a nurse the RCN have a website on raising a grievance . Keep records of all the incidents and what action was taken.

flowery Sun 08-Apr-18 12:57:19

Presumably you mean you’ll be putting in a grievance if you don’t get a new job rather than if you do?

Do you have some kind of intranet system you can log on to? I would expect the grievance procedure to be available on there. If not you could contact HR and ask them to email you a copy, or you could raise a grievance and in the letter request that a copy of the procedure is sent to you.

In terms of the letter, just state that you are raising a formal grievance due to bullying, and set out clearly and concisely details of the problem including examples and also including details of what other steps you have taken (if any) to address the situation.

It’s a good idea to give some consideration to what action you want taken as a result of your grievance - what outcome you want. Often people don’t think about that.

YesorNope Sun 08-Apr-18 13:09:53

Thank you both. I aim to take a grievance if I find a new job and I'll be telling them why. If I continue working there with a grievance going on my life will be made unbearable.

YesorNope Sun 08-Apr-18 13:10:42

I want it not to happen to anyone else is the only outcome I want

flowery Sun 08-Apr-18 13:15:16

”I want it not to happen to anyone else is the only outcome I want”

That’s a perfectly good reason for raising a grievance but surely if you don’t get a new job you’ll need to raise one anyway? Or are you planning to go back to the same working environment and just put up with it? sad

Is it your line manager?

retirednow Sun 08-Apr-18 13:17:49

Have you considered moving to a different department rather than getting a new job,

YesorNope Sun 08-Apr-18 13:23:00

It's my line manager. Well at some point I'll have to return from mat leave and if I haven't got s new job by then I'll have to suck it up until I leave

retirednow Sun 08-Apr-18 13:31:14

You don't have to tolerate being bullied, you could go and see h.r. and occy health any time and discuss redeployment for when you return. You need to concentrate on your new baby and your own mental well being.

YesorNope Sun 08-Apr-18 13:35:40

Will it affect a reference though? I need sociable part time hours too

retirednow Sun 08-Apr-18 14:25:07

No it shouldn't affect your references. If you work for a trust I would look up the job site and apply for something, I would also speak to h.r. and occy health to explain the situation and ask if you can be moved. There might be somewhere else within the Trust where the staff are really nice and supportive, a grievance can be emotionally difficult and drawn out, you might find it easier just to move on, ask for an exit interview with h.r. and don't expect anyone to take sides, they are good at moaning but cover their own arses.

daisychain01 Sun 08-Apr-18 16:09:34

I want it not to happen to anyone else is the only outcome I want

My only advice is to think carefully before you submit your grievance. The cost/benefit won't be worthwhile (high cost to your personal wellbeing, likely a low benefit in terms of them taking the specific actions and you knowing whether those actions will prevent a person's bad behaviour being called out or corrected - HR and management tend to self-justify an awful lot!).

It's an admirable thing to want to do, but your priority must be towards your health and your family's best interest.

YesorNope Sun 08-Apr-18 16:41:37

Why should they be able to treat others badly though?

YesorNope Sun 08-Apr-18 18:56:53

If I have a hr exit interview how will that change things?

SweetLike Sun 08-Apr-18 19:10:36

I would seek out your Freedom to Speak Up guardian and have a chat with them. It's completely anonymous so you could get advice on policies etc from them.

YesorNope Sun 08-Apr-18 23:07:37

Thanks. So if I tell them what's happened will it be recorded? Or will they tell me if I have a case?

daisychain01 Mon 09-Apr-18 04:35:43

You need to follow the Grievance process based on your employer's policy.

Why should they be able to treat others badly though?

As I've stated (and you are free to take on board or discount my advice), you need to focus on your situation, not be a crusader for other people. If you intend to put in the grievance, you should outline your circumstances factually and accurately to your employer. They will investigate and report back to you whether your grievance is upheld. Depending on the strength of your case, it could signal to them that they need to consider how employees are treated. But there are no guarantees.

So if I tell them what's happened will it be recorded? Or will they tell me if I have a case?

By submitting your grievance formally, they are duty bound to record your grievance and their response. What do you mean by "will they tell me if I have a case"? If you mean will they tell you if you have sufficient to take them to Tribunal, no of course they won't. Even if you do have a case, they'll never admit or give you ammunition! You'd need to get legal advice of your own.

YesorNope Mon 09-Apr-18 09:15:20

It seems pointless then

daisychain01 Mon 09-Apr-18 14:52:58

It depends what you mean by 'pointless'. It depends what outcome you want to achieve. If it's to communicate your concerns about how you've personally been treated, it may trigger some change in the future, which others may benefit from. If that's the outcome you need, it could fulfil that function.

If you expect them to say Yup we've been bad people and we've treated you appallingly, then that is highly unlikely to happen.

BubblesBuddy Mon 09-Apr-18 16:46:38

Personally I would negotiate a part time job upon return to work. I would focus on this with HR. They don’t have to agree, but if you get it, your problem is solved. Start the negotiations before you get near the grievance procedure.

YesorNope Mon 09-Apr-18 17:40:47

It's nothing to so with part time. It's to do with their treatment of people

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in