Do I need to stay in my job if trying to get pregnant

(8 Posts)
Febe123 Fri 06-Apr-18 20:54:03

I have been with my current employer for over a year but not been offered a pay rise even though I started on a pretty low salary. Not sure how it works but I thought after a year I'd be given a small rise?
Any way I'm also at risk of getting pregnant, not really trying but having a some unprotected, and would quite like to get pregnant but not sure I'd be entitled to maternity benefits if I got a new job?
I read something like you have to be 35 weeks 15 weeks before due date which I'm thinking would mean you need to start a new job before trying?

OP’s posts: |
LIZS Fri 06-Apr-18 21:03:33

For smp you have to be employed by same employer just before you get pg and earning above the ni threshold, for maternity allowance you need to be employed for a minimum number of weeks in preceding 2 years. If an employer offers an enhanced policy, paying over and above smp, they can determine their own criteria to qualify ( psuch as specific level, minimum service etc) and it could be conditional on returning to work afterwards for a period of time or repayable. There is no automatic entitlement to a payrise after a year in most job roles now, although some local government, civil service or related roles may still operate an incremental system based on service.

LIZS Fri 06-Apr-18 21:08:55

This explains the differences:
https://www.maternityaction.org.uk/advice-2/mums-dads-scenarios/pregnant-and-benefits/common-maternity-pay-questions/

You will need to have worked for 26 weeks out of previous 66 to get Maternity Allowance if you change jobs once pg.

KendalMintCakey Sat 07-Apr-18 09:12:48

Yes, if you plan to feed and clothe your child.

KendalMintCakey Sat 07-Apr-18 09:14:32

To elaborate you would be better to get Maternity pay in the bag to help pay for baby (think weddings) like weddings those things aren't cheap.

TalkFastThinkSlow Sat 07-Apr-18 09:17:50

Payrises don't happen automatically lol. I worked for a company for 4 years and only got one when I was promoted.

Stay in your job
Try asking for a payrise

daisychain01 Sat 07-Apr-18 11:58:59

Think about what value you've personally added since being in role. Make a case for an increase if you can evidence 2 - 3 things of value that your manager can use to increase your wages. Automatic increases are rare nowadays.

huginamugwankinapacket Sat 07-Apr-18 21:20:49

I got maternity allowance whilst I was redundant, so no not necessarily. I was made redundant in the December, fell pregnant in the January and had my son in October. Look up the rules for maternity allowance and work it out.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in