Change of direction in middle age

(7 Posts)
Lycra60 Wed 04-Apr-18 19:53:51

I’ve worked in NHS admin for years, but latest job has been nightmare. I got a new job - apparantly ahead of a staff member who has been there years & saw it as hers. Result is i have been snubbed & pretty much ignored except for completely vital information! While it clearly upsets me (not tears etc, more annoyance as i thought at 51 i’d left mean girls long ago!) it has also confirmed that i want to go into more patient centred work.
I’m fit, healthy, educated & have previously looked aftee older relative & done lot of voluntary work with young adults. I’ve also worked shifts before.
Does anyone know what i’d need to get into care work or case/nursing assistant work?
I want to feel i’m doing a job that has value to someone, and be part of avteam - not tap a keyboard, in a toxic room where i’m clearly not welcome! I’m aware of the pay drop, physical & emotional demands, but am thinking of it more and more!
Also will being wrong side of 50 be a problem? Feels like my kast chance to fo a satisfying job.

OP’s posts: |
greengoose21 Thu 05-Apr-18 09:54:57

Hi Lycra, I can't answer your question about the specific requirements of patient facing work, but what I will say is that it is the greatest imaginable relief to wake up in the morning and know that you don't have to go back into a negative working environment.

I'd recommend you do some research into jobs you'd like to do. NHS jobs is a good source for that, and the job descriptors will always be detailed in terms of essential requirements. That'll help you work out what training or experience you need to get.

Then look at your finances, and decide what you need to live on. That'll help you decide if you can afford to drop hours or take courses or change entirely.

And the most valuable piece of advice I can offer is to be open to anything. We all have a habit of getting stuck in a rut. We do our steady jobs, talk to the same friends, family and colleagues, watch the same TV shows, eat the same meals. And that's absolutely fine...but there is an amazing amount going on out there with interesting people, places, and things to do. It's so often the case that opportunities appear when you aren't actually looking for them.

PaleBlue Thu 05-Apr-18 10:13:09

Hi Lycra, you have voluntary care experience and also experience in your personal life so I think employers will definitely consider you. I am in my late 40's and the only paid work experience I have on my cv is office work. I have been an NHS Volunteer and also a befriender for short periods of time and I have been successful in getting interviews for companies who provide care services to clients in their own homes. These companies provide training. The only problem is that they are zero hours contracts.

I have also registered with a recruitment agency who have said they will give me training, moving and handling, giving medication. They have contacted me recently about some full time positions they have.

I definitely think it will be possible for you to change career to care/nursing assistant. There are plenty of jobs out there. If you can do some courses to have on your cv along with your voluntary work this will also help. I did a certificate in Health and Social care. These are the things that will change your cv and make it clear that you really want to work in care. I have my courses and voluntary work first on my cv and then my office work.

Keep applying for care jobs, go for interviews and you will get a feeling of what it will be like and if it is really for you.

Good luck!

Devilishpyjamas Fri 06-Apr-18 07:20:42

Hi OP - I started work as a support worker (bank) in a home for people with learning disabilities last year because I am retraining as a speech and language therapist and wanted hands on experience with people other than my disabled son. The interview was values based so lack of hands on work experience was fine. I was very, very over qualified for the role as well but that was fine, I wasn’t really asked about that. I love the work by the way -find it very rewarding.

I am just approaching 50 and will say that 12 hour shifts are tiring - it’s fine now, but I couldn’t imagine doing them in my sixties (one reason I have chosen to retrain in SaLT is because I have zero pension after years caring for a severely disabled son but SaLT is so flexible it seems to be a job that people can do even when older).

SuttonSurrey Fri 06-Apr-18 08:30:28

Are you doing a degree in SaLT Devilish?

Devilishpyjamas Fri 06-Apr-18 09:00:36

Will be (no MSc here). I was meant to start last September but had to delay a year due to a crisis with ds1.

Lycra60 Sun 08-Apr-18 23:08:49

Thanks! I’m thinking i will keep up volunteering, look for distance or short evening courses that i can to add to my CV & try to save some money each wage so i have a bit of a cushion if need be, as lots of posts seems to be fixed term/temp contracts. Plan to keep my head down & maybe ask to drop to part-time in current role once i’ve done year (unless i get something permanent sooner) giving me some security & chance to pick up p/t caring work.
Feel better knowing it’s not too late & i can make a change & relatively soon!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in