Being asked to do work way outside scope of role

(6 Posts)
ArseholesOnToast Wed 28-Mar-18 21:17:05

I am relatively new in my role (4 months), it’s a complex role and I’m still learning the basics of how things are done.

I have had positive feedback from my manager and I’m progressing well, at correct pace, etc.

My role is the same as three others. We're all paid the same and do the same tasks on a rota.

I came into the role with little experience but a degree in the area and knowledge from that. The others have experience but no degree so we bring different aspects to the team.

My manager does not have a huge amount of knowledge in the area we all work in. She does not know how to do a lot of the work we do despite being in the job for several years. She just seems to wing it day by day.

She has asked me to do some tasks that she should do as part of her role but does not know how to do. These are mainly writing policies, procedures and training out staff. If staff do not comply with these procedures/policies then they can face disciplinary action and ultimately be dismissed. As a result the policies/procedures need to be watertight.

If I got it wrong then I would be in trouble and my manager, based on my experience of her so far, would have no qualms in shoving me under a bus to save herself. We get very little support from her generally and it’s an issue for us all.

I am able to do the work and I would find it quite enjoyable but it’s way beyond the scope of my job and I would be worried about the potential repercussions.

So far I’ve only been asked via email and I haven’t done anything/responded.

The others who do the same role as me have told me to say no as I could wind up in trouble if there’s any discrepancy in what I’ve written and that it’s her job to do this, not mine.

It’s difficult as I’m new so don’t want to be seen to be a jobs worth but I don’t want to be a doormat either.

There is no negotiation about including this work within my job role, being given appropriate authority for the responsibility and more pay. We’re a branch of a national company where all the people in my role get paid the same and do the same.

Really I would really welcome some advice on how to handle this. It’s my first job in this industry after graduating as a mature student so it’s a relatively low level role compared to my manager’s.

OP’s posts: |
RC1234 Wed 28-Mar-18 22:40:21

Do you have 1 to 1s? As you are still learning the role I would be inclined to say something along the lines of 'I have only been here 4 months and I am still learning the role. I don't feel that I yet know this department well enough to write a procedure/policy about X, but I would like this to form part of my longer term development plan. Are there any training courses/ materials/ mentoring that I could have access to, to help me develop and fulfil my potential.'

You are not saying outright no and you are not being a doormat. Obviously if no meaningful training and development is provided then you may have to consider whether this role is for you in the long term. It sounds a bit iffy from what you describe.

userofthiswebsite Wed 28-Mar-18 22:48:15

Can't you draft it and then send it to her asking for her comments and edits as desired or if she's happy with the content as is to approve it. Then either way, you're covered.

Bits your're not sure in you can put comments in the margin.

ArseholesOnToast Thu 29-Mar-18 16:23:26

Thank you for the replies and advice.

I think I’ll go along the lines of still developing but it’s something for the future. I am supposed to have one to ones but either she’s too busy or spends the time complaining about the others.

I don’t plan on being in the role too much longer as things are not great and I can’t see it improving, so I’ll just do the basics and move on in the next few months.

It’s been a disappointing first job in what’s a new industry for me.

RandomMess Thu 29-Mar-18 16:33:10

If your a National company you should all be using the same policies and procedures surely?

ArseholesOnToast Thu 29-Mar-18 17:34:47

There are group policies/procedures and then site specific ones.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in