Hr careers

(5 Posts)
Elfmonster55 Sat 24-Mar-18 13:55:20

Hi there,
I am currently working in a small department, we work quite closely with the Hr department (assisting with recruiting days, checking references etc) I'd really like to work in Hr and wondered if the CIPD course is worth doing? I would have to fund it myself as I don't actually work in Hr my employer won't fund it. Many thanks

OP’s posts: |
LifeBeginsNow Sat 24-Mar-18 14:06:03

Yes it is but ideally you would work in HR as an assistant first. I have done it back to front and am really struggling to get a job in HR. Plus if you can find a job first, the employer may help with costs in exchange for a return of service.

BubblesBuddy Sun 25-Mar-18 10:14:35

I did it and I never ended up working in HR! During a reorganisation, I did something else! However, generally, getting the job first is best. The course will make more sense then. However, do be aware that many HR training jobs go to graduates now. Are you a graduate?

CharlieandLolaCat Sun 25-Mar-18 11:47:43

I would definitely recommend doing it and go up to Level 7 if you can but, as others have said, it is also best to do it whilst working in HR.

I would also add that you will find that you rarely (if ever) refer back to it but it is helpful in moving from one role to another .....

Elfmonster55 Sun 25-Mar-18 15:42:58

Thank you for the feedback everyone.
I'm not a graduate unfortunately. I've mainly worked in office jobs since leaving school for the past 15 years, admin, recruitment administrator, learning and development coordinator etc. I'd like to have some sort of career now my dc are older! I'll definitely look into getting a hr role hopefully with the company I am currently at. Thanks again

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in