Job interview on maternity leave and notice period

(4 Posts)
Pp3000 Wed 14-Mar-18 13:19:59

Hello! I'm 4 months into my maternity leave and me and DH are looking to relocate closer to family in another part of the UK.

I have been applying for jobs on the off chance that I would get a job interview and have just found out I've got one for a job I'm really interested in in a couple of weeks.

I have a one month notice period at my current job but if offered this new role would I be able to tell them I have a longer notice period than that (3 months ideally) so I have time to move myself, my husband and baby? My husband is on a 3 month notice period and I would ideally like him to move at the same time as me. Or should I just say I'm on a one month notice period but try and negotiate a later starting date?

I haven't said anywhere in my application that I'm on maternity leave and don't intend to unless offered the role as I presume it would put off the employee (even though I know this is illegal I can imagine it happens)

Any advice appreciated!!
confused

OP’s posts: |
GaynorGoodwin Wed 14-Mar-18 18:56:11

Well done on the job interview! I’d be totally honest with them as regards notice of one month but explain your plans and take it from there. If they want you I’m sure they would be willing to do this. Good luck x

Pinkprincess1978 Wed 14-Mar-18 20:21:55

Employers don't check notice leave in my experience so you could tell them that. Although honesty is often the best policy.

MadeinBelfast Wed 14-Mar-18 20:45:42

I wouldn't lie. Just say that due to your relocation you would like a later start date if possible. I've known people who've been allowed to start roles 4 months later than expected so that they can relocate or go travelling.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in