Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

CV writing services - worth it?

(12 Posts)
user1489844432 Tue 13-Mar-18 17:18:05

Hello

I have been trying to change a job now for a while without any luck. I am mid level manager in London if it makes any difference.

My problem is that I dont get invited to interviews rather than not getting the offer. This makes me think there is an issue with my CV so I submitted recently my CV to various CV evaluation websites and the feedback in general was that my CV is bland and comes across as doer rather than achiever even though I listed many achievements.

Now I know they all want my money so I understand criticism but I was wondering whether it is even worth considering this type of service and if anyone could recommend one.

I dont want to spend around £150-£200 to get copy/paste from a standard template. However if this would help me to move on and get better paid job then it would be worth every penny.

My current CV is pretty standard: Profile, Education, Skills, Role: key responsibilities + key achievements. Also my career history is pretty stable, same field different companies and raising through ranks.

redexpat Fri 16-Mar-18 23:02:51

I would ask around people in your industry if they can recommend someone. You will probably get a better match.

daisychain01 Sat 17-Mar-18 05:21:52

Invest a Sunday afternoon in making the improvements for yourself and save yourself £200! You don't know that your CV is causing the problem, it may be something different. But a redesign is often a good idea to keep it fresh and up to date.

You can start off using a MS Word standard template (when you launch a new document) as the starting point and build from there. Use Google to identify what good CVs look like.

Only put your last 3-4 roles on ( no need to list that you worked in a shoe shop in the school holidays!), show how you progressed from one job to the next, in terms of seniority and responsibilities.

mixture Sat 17-Mar-18 05:26:35

How old are you? It might be that you're growing older and that sending out CV:s doesn't work too well for you, for that very reason. Check out this book, "Network Your Way to Your Next Job - Fast. It's a bit old (hence the mention of used copies sold) but it's a really good book, though it's from 1994 and I bought it a couple of years afterwards - but I believe a lot of what is said in it is still valid.

Bullet991 Sat 17-Mar-18 13:10:11

I actually began a business after leaving university which mainly focused on making CV's in professional industries.

I charged £50 per CV and every customer was very happy and had great luck with their CV - I made every one by scratch and never copy and pasted from a template/buzzwords etc.

Reading your post has made me slightly upset that I clearly didn't know the prices!

Winterflower84 Sat 17-Mar-18 20:40:16

Hello, I've been there and can share my experience with you. I applied to the National Careers Service for help with my CV and one of their consultants re-structured and re-wrote it. I then uploaded it to the CV Library website (and kept applying for jobs as well). Months later got a call from a recruiter who had picked up my CV from CV Library. I was eventually offered the job he had identified for me and it's even better than what I was hoping to have and so is the salary. So the National Careers Service, CV Library and a very decent reqruiter combination worked for me.

Catinthecorner Sat 17-Mar-18 20:43:36

I’m not a professional CV writer, but I’ve looked over a lot of CVs in my time and rewrite for friends pretty regularly. I’d be happy to glance over it and make suggestions if you’d like? No charge obviously.

Winterflower84 Sat 17-Mar-18 20:48:02

recruiter* (sorry for the error)

DollyLlama Sun 18-Mar-18 11:20:38

I spent a few pounds to get a template on MyPerfectCv and have had quite a few interview offers since and been told it stands out in a crowd. Was the best couple of pounds I've spent in a long time.

ReinettePompadour Sun 18-Mar-18 11:31:41

I had the same feedback for my cv, that 'I'm a doer and not an achiever' but as I was applying for roles as PA/EA I cant see why I need to be an achiever as the role really is about 'doing' and supporting and not going off alone. hmm

However, I have paid 3 times for professional make overs of my cv and never had any success, in fact I got lots if interest once I had adjusted it myself. I found the best way of tailoring your cv is to speak to professionals in that field/the company you're applying to and ask what it is they look for in a cv. One role I applied for said they picked my cv because it only had the basics on it, too many cvs are full of 'tech jargon' that doesnt mean anything, they wanted the basics that they could work with and mold the candidate to fit. I only knew this because I had spoken to them prior to sending my cv about what they looked for.

daisychain01 Mon 19-Mar-18 12:01:08

I've heard bad things about myperfectCV they are quick to start taking monthly amounts out of people's bank account and the unsubscribe process is deliberately complicated and difficult to do. This is sometimes without the person realising the money is being taken shock - beware!

OliviaStabler Mon 19-Mar-18 12:09:47

I had to laugh at this: doer rather than achiever as that is exactly what my CV review said. I had a free review when I joined a large agency website, didn't pay.

However the review was generic and the suggestions were not suitable for the roles I am applying for. They also ran my CV through what they said a lot of companies use to screen CV's and the results bore little resemblance to my CV at all!.

I'd also look at LinkedIn. It is a good way to network, hear about jobs and make connections that might help you find the role you are looking for.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: