Advanced search

Grasp the next rung of the career ladder

Find jobs that fit your skills and your home life with Mumsnet jobs

See all jobs »

Should I move jobs if I feel like I don’t really want to?

(3 Posts)
user1471456357 Tue 13-Mar-18 07:51:50

Hi, I have been offered a new job, I thought I wanted to change job but now I’m having second thoughts.
Taking this job would mean upheaval of moving home for not much more money.
I have twisted myself into such a state about it, I feel I no longer know what to doblush. Anyone have any ideas or opinions?

EBearhug Tue 13-Mar-18 08:44:11

Does it offer anything else besides the not much more money? Are there better opportunities for promotion, more training, anything like that?

Why did you think you wanted to change jobs? What is it about your current job you don't like? What attracted you to the new one? Is it just fear of the unknown, or is there something else putting you off? If they changed anything about the offer, such as increased pay or holds allowance or the ability to work from home sometimes -would anything like that make a difference? I'm not saying you'll get it if you go back and say, "only if you give me another £10K," but it might help you clarify why you're feeling the way you do.

I'd draw up a list of pros and cons and see how they compare then.

You don't have to accept a new job - but I think you need to be clear to yourself why you are doing so, if you do choose to turn it down. And you should also let them know as soon as possible, because that's fairer on them.

user1471456357 Tue 13-Mar-18 10:29:40

Thank you for your reply, I’m going to go through it carefully, it will I think help me decide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now