Talk

Advanced search

Recording sickness absence

(16 Posts)
AbandonGups Sun 11-Mar-18 08:41:14

Wondered how sickness absence should be accurately recorded if you work "long days" (12 hrs).
I've been off work for a week - return tomorrow. I think the system will show 7 days absence (1st day sick Monday, returning the next monday) but as I work long days, I would have "done my hours" in 3 days, so my employer has only actually lost 3 days. Should it be recorded as 3 days or 7 off? Thanks for any insight.

Emma198 Sun 11-Mar-18 10:45:34

Are you sure it's only recorded in days and not hours? I imagine one of the following will happen. Either you'll be marked as sick for 7 days because it works on calendar days and your sickness allowance will be worked out that way too, or it will be worked out as 3 days and your sickness allowance will be adjusted for your working pattern. We record both days and hours and your allowance is worked out based on the hours you work a week.

flowery Sun 11-Mar-18 12:27:55

It’s presumably because it’s recording a week accurately- you are having one week off. The fact that you work long days isn’t relevant- it’s recording that you spent one week of your contractual hours off sick.

Userplusnumbers Sun 11-Mar-18 12:30:08

Well it's based on self certification system - which works on calendar days, otherwise you could (for instance) self certify for nearly two and a half weeks, while a colleague working more days would have to return to the doctors for a sick note well before that

Abouttoblow Sun 11-Mar-18 12:32:02

If you were only supposed to work for 3 days surely you won't be recorded as off sick for 7?
I work Monday to Friday, 9-5. If I was off from Monday to Monday is be marked sick for 5 days, not 7.

cantthinkattheminute Sun 11-Mar-18 12:36:33

It depends on the company policy and if you informed them that you were no longer sick after 3days. If you haven't then it could count as 7days sick.

TheJoyOfSox Sun 11-Mar-18 12:38:32

You have been off sick for 7 days, I’d record that as 7 days sickness.

daisychain01 Sun 11-Mar-18 22:24:09

You should be getting guidance from your employer (HR or line management) - they are obliged to support you on how they need you to log your sick days according to your contract of employment.

vdbfamily Sun 11-Mar-18 22:46:37

When we had a mechanised system we recorded how many days you were actually sick, how many days of work you missed and how many working hours were lost.

Heartofglass12345 Sun 11-Mar-18 23:03:09

Surely days dont really matter? Where i have worked, whether you are ill for one day or five days, its one period of sickness, and you self certify for a week, so after that you need a doctors note

MagentaRocks Mon 12-Mar-18 15:15:15

We’re you fit for work after the 3 days? We would record until you are fit for work, but it also counts the duty days and the hours you would have worked.

AbandonGups Mon 12-Mar-18 15:34:42

Thanks Magenta - so you would only record sick the days when rostered on? Yes, I was fit after 3 days, but didn't have any shifts until the 7th day iyswim. I didn't call in on day 4, as I wasn't rostered to come me in / wasn't on duty until day 7 as I had days off / non working days on the system.

MagentaRocks Mon 12-Mar-18 17:42:19

No, it would be for the full week but we also record the duty days. We have to ring in as fit for work if on days off. If we don’t then it would be recorded as a 7 day absence.

Clevs Mon 12-Mar-18 17:58:44

Ours is recorded as total number of days (7 in your case) but also working days lost (3) and only the three would be counted. This is also based on 12 hour shifts.

treaclesoda Mon 12-Mar-18 18:03:49

I work Monday to Friday, 9-5. If I was off from Monday to Monday is be marked sick for 5 days, not 7.

I think it depends on the employer. My previous employer would have counted that as seven days. A single Monday or Friday would automatically count as three days.

Not sure how it works where I am now as I've never been off sick.

RebootYourEngine Tue 13-Mar-18 08:49:45

Do you work in something like health care? I know when i have been off it goes by days and periods of time off.

You werent off sick for a week though so why would it be marked as 7 days. Eg. The week runs sun to sun. Your shifts were sun mon tues that week. You would only be marked off sick for sun mon tues as they were your shifts.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: