Advanced search

Grasp the next rung of the career ladder

Find jobs that fit your kills and your home life with Mumsnet jobs

See all jobs »

Paying for uniform

(9 Posts)
JellySlice Fri 09-Mar-18 17:28:54

Dc have just started working PT for a restaurant chain. They have to provide their own black skirts/trousers and black shoes, and are provided with a uniform shirt, a waiter's apron, and a couple of other things. They are not charged up front for these garments, but the cost of some of them will, apparently, be deducted from their final paycheck.

In light of this article, is this legal?

teaiseverything Fri 09-Mar-18 17:38:58

I spent a decade in retail and hospitality. What I'll say is what is right and what happens are extremely different matters and if your dc are finding issue with this, I'd suggest they find a different industry. I mean that politely. Things only get worse.

The only place I've ever worked that provided the whole uniform/provided an allowance for the bits they didn't give you was John Lewis and that was about 14 years ago so no idea what their stance is now. It's very standard to have to get your own trousers, skirts, tights etc and to be honest, it's no different to having to buy your own suits and such for work in an office.

JellySlice Fri 09-Mar-18 18:36:08

I have no issue with people having to supply their own bog-standard parts of the uniform, such as black skirts, trousers and shoes. It's just the same as following a dress code - if jeans aren't allowed, and you only have jeans, then you have to buy some chinos to wear to work. So I was surprised that Wagamama and TGIF were fined for doing just that.

Employees can wear their black things at other times. But logoed uniform shirts, or waiters' aprons can only be worn as work gear.

How can it be illegal to oblige your staff to buy their own clothes, but not be illegal to oblige your staff to buy their uniform?

I, too, worked in retail many years ago, and did not have to pay for my uniform. The dc are, so far, very happy in their jobs.

teaiseverything Fri 09-Mar-18 19:17:41

I understand what you're saying and completely agree but the point I'm making is retail and hospitality are rife with nonsense like this and fighting against it is almost impossible and/or they make your life very hard if you're successful in doing so.

HermioneWeasley Fri 09-Mar-18 20:13:04

It’s perfectly lawful to make employees pay for their own uniform, but if the deductions take them below national minimum wage then that is unlawful.

JellySlice Fri 09-Mar-18 20:44:14

How are the deductions calculated? Out of the week's wages in the week when the uniform is purchased, or averaged out over a longer period?

HermioneWeasley Sat 10-Mar-18 13:34:01

When are the deductions made? Assuming that your daughter is an hourly paid worker, if the deductions in that pay period take her hourly rate below NMW then that is likely to be a breach

Ollivander84 Tue 13-Mar-18 01:12:02

If they have a logo on, you can get a tax allowance too

daisychain01 Tue 13-Mar-18 05:43:10

How are the deductions calculated? Out of the week's wages in the week when the uniform is purchased, or averaged out over a longer period?

Does your DC have a contract of employment? It should state in there how much they are costing out the uniform items and how much they will deduct at any one time if they expect repayment in instalments.

Your DC needs to get that info from their employer, sooner rather than later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now