Work and pregnancy

(6 Posts)
Ljmama18 Fri 09-Mar-18 12:23:52

Hi, would anybody be able to give me some advice with work and pregnancy? I am 30 weeks pregnant, i was due to leave work 2 weeks before due date. But I really want to leave now. I also had every intention of going back after my maternity leave but i have decided that will not be the case now. They have changed towards me and been purposefully keeping things from me regarding my job making me feel stressed and loose sleep. They have done no risks assessments or given me any written confirmation regarding my pregnancy and maternity pay or maternity leave. I have worked there 3 years but have no contract of employment. Could I leave this early? Should I go on the sick? Will I get sick pay? Any help/advice would be gratefully received. Thanks

OP’s posts: |
AriAliyah Fri 09-Mar-18 12:29:18

I believe that they may be able to ask for 28 days notice from you, but if you are able to get a doctors note and be signed off sick, they can force you to go on maternity early. You could always see if you can get signed off (depending on your pay etc) and this way you may not have to use up so much of your maternity early on?

Paie Fri 09-Mar-18 12:30:27

I think if you get signed off sick they can start your maternity leave earlier than you requested, there is a notice period you have to give them if you want to change your hours.

You said you have no official contract so maybe talk to someone and see if you can agree "unofficially".
Failing that, take holiday until then?

NapQueen Fri 09-Mar-18 12:31:21

1) dont tell them you wont be returning. You do not need to do this. Let them think you will be taking the full one year entitlement and 8 weeks before that ends notify them then. If you receive any Additional Maternity pay (above the smp) theb bank it from the start as they will probably want it back. At least you will get smp though, and the option of returning if you choose.
2) if you are unable to work at the moment due to stress or ill health and it is pregnancy related then your gp will write you a sicknote which will last til 36 weeks. You will need to start mat leave at 36 weeks.

Have you handed in your MATB1?
Have you got a HR dept?

Ljmama18 Fri 09-Mar-18 13:04:12

Thank you for all your responses. No we don't have hr department. They have received my mat b1 but I have had no correspondence to confirm they have received it. I Just don't know how I can cope going in every day until my last day.

OP’s posts: |
sirlee66 Fri 09-Mar-18 13:07:32

Speak to your midwife. Mine had to ring my employer to tell them what was what!!

Best of luck, OP

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in