Manager is untouchable

(9 Posts)
Motherwell91 Thu 08-Mar-18 23:15:01

This could be a long one. Manager at my work is completely utterly useless but seems to get away with everything.

Out of 11 staff only 4 has uniform the rest have been told that she can't get any.... even though the 4 have received newer bits in this time. I've been there 6 years and never had one.

We have no rotas and get told the night before via text message that we are expected in at certain time.

She plays everyone against each other lying about what other have said about one another... she isn't very good at this as forgets who people have worked with.

One staff member tried to send a email to hr anonymously only to have the email forwarded with email address shown she had her hours dropped and was pubically shamed in front of rest of staff.

You may say why not go find another job. But a lot of us cannot find jobs that the hours can work round partners.

So wwyd? Find a clever way to complain... grin and bare it
..... go unemployed

OP’s posts: |
Ariela Thu 08-Mar-18 23:57:10

Look online for a head office phone number and covertly ring HR, dialling 141 before the number so it cannot be traced?

Motherwell91 Fri 09-Mar-18 07:17:10

We've had a few try this.but she is buddy buddy with the area manager. And it gets brushed under the carpet.

retirednow Fri 09-Mar-18 12:24:17

What sort of business is it, is it small or large, is there a chance you could all stand together and ask for a staff meeting. Is there a separate h.r. department.

TheMogget Fri 09-Mar-18 12:44:19

Could ACAS be useful? Might force them to follow some procedures

Motherwell91 Fri 09-Mar-18 16:35:32

It is a well known 'convince' store chain... the issue is she is friends with area manager and many hr people. Aswell as everyone in work agree working conditions are awful but are to scared to put names to anything.

retirednow Fri 09-Mar-18 19:04:05

It doesn't matter who she thinks she are friends with, this is a work place, not a social club. I would contact A..c.a.s. as pp suggested. They must have a head office or a h.r department who could get involved impartially.

Motherwell91 Sat 10-Mar-18 00:04:33

A few friends have sent in email complaints to head office as customers ( all are regular customers and have commented on true experiences) I have also emailed the union were connected to .
I just don't understand how it constantly is allowed to happen. A case was built up by an old area manager as she was hiding away out of date stock to protect her end of year profit. Stuff going back to 2012. Then a new area manager came in and it was all forgotten.

I'm worried that if I'm the only member of staff making these accusations and everyone else continues to bow down and plead ignorance, I'll just be seen as a trouble maker and no action will be taken. Any advice on convincing them it is the right thing to do. To stand United against her.

daisychain01 Sun 11-Mar-18 05:09:16

You need to talk with your feet OP. As I've said on a different thread, you and your colleagues are on a hiding to nothing unless this manager has actually broken employment law that you can call them on. The things you've described make people's jobs miserable but they would maintain they are doing their job and justify their actions as a manager.

Staying and fighting can suck the life out of you. You could get your union involved, but unless they've got something to get their teeth into (ie an actual breach of law) they will not want to fight a battle they have no chance of winning against management. They do try to pick their battles, as there are so many of them.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in