Another snow day question

(7 Posts)
Dailystuck71 Sun 04-Mar-18 20:22:42

DH work closed on Thursday which was our red warning day. On Friday we were snowed in. DH phones work. His supervisor said to be paid he needed to show up. DH said he’d do his best and off we went with shovels. At 2 pm a tractor from a farm came and dug the worst of our snow fall so we could get the car out. DH called and said he was on his way but the response was not to bother. Should he be,paid for Friday or not?

For clarity we live rurally about 35 minutes from his work.

OP’s posts: |
flowery Sun 04-Mar-18 20:31:50

What time was he due to work?

Dailystuck71 Sun 04-Mar-18 20:39:12

His hours are 9-6

daisychain01 Sun 04-Mar-18 21:34:16

Maybe he should just request to take it as 1 day's annual leave. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of life and it squares it off with his manager as it resolves the issue about whether to pay him or not.

flowery Sun 04-Mar-18 21:40:35

If he was already 5 hours late by the time the tractor turned up let alone actually been dug out then made it in then I don’t think he’s got much of a case to say he should be paid tbh. Annual leave would seem a good suggestion as Daisy said.

Dailystuck71 Sun 04-Mar-18 22:13:24

Thanks for responding. DH is happy to take annual leave. The unions are pressing hard as they think all staff should be paid because it was exceptional weather. Just trying to be prepared for tomorrow.

daisychain01 Mon 05-Mar-18 04:22:00

I hope your DHs Union is successful -

As per another thread on here about snow days, ACAS states that

There is no automatic legal right for a worker to be paid for working time they have missed because of travel disruption or bad weather.

If employer-provided transport is cancelled because of bad weather or travel disruption, and a worker was otherwise ready, willing and available to work, the worker should be paid for any working time they have missed.

It goes on to say only if the employer decides to close their premises altogether that the employee is entitled to be paid, which wasn't the case for your DHs employer it would appear.

I expect your DHs boss saying he needed to turn up to be paid was because of the "ready, willing, and able" part of the guidance, but it was a moot point whenyour DH tried his utmost to dig himself out of the snow, but still was not able to present himself. It would seem like the decent thing to do to recognise his best efforts, so hopefully the boss will be "encouraged" by the Union to do so.

Losing a day's pay is harsh when conditions are so extreme. But to my mind, if it's a question of risking one's job for the sake of taking a day's leave, then I'd opt for that.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in