Employment terms

(8 Posts)
Beaniebeemer Sat 03-Mar-18 09:42:49

Back story - I’ve worked for the company for 12 years. The first 5 being full time.

After I returned to work after the children I went back 2 days a week but always said once I had more child care and the children were a bit older I would do more. After a long battle I finally managed to get them to agree to me working three days a week but the third day was on a temporary basis initially this ran for 6 months. After the 6 months were up they have been renewing it but only 2 months at a time. At Christmas a person who did the sameish job as me full time left meaning it’s just me working now doing the whole work load for the team (admin). I’ve dug my heels in now and said I want the third day on a permenant basis and I am prepared to help out on the two days I don’t usually work . They won’t make the third day permenant even though they need it as a business. They are not replacing the full timer that left. It’s made me v stressed and upset over the whole uncertainty besides the fact I’ve been working incredibly hard to keep on top of the work. It’s restricting me from getting on with life (we desperately need to move house) I don’t know whether to just say now that I will go back to working 2 days on the terms that I am properly contracted to. Yes it will impact on me financially but I’m fed up with them calling the shots and taking advantage of me.

OP’s posts: |
flowery Sat 03-Mar-18 10:35:58

How long have you been working 3 days a week altogether, what is the reason they are giving for not confirming these as your new permanent hours and how is it restricting you from getting on with life?

ItIsReallyW1ndy Sat 03-Mar-18 10:54:19

`desperately need to move house` what is stopping you ? Get your house valued, work out your budget, declutter, give things to charity. If you only work 3 days a week surely you have plenty of time to get organised !

PurplePirate Sat 03-Mar-18 11:28:20

If they can't give you extra hours then you need to find a new job.

Cheeseislife Sat 03-Mar-18 13:15:54

I assumed OP needs the formal third day for mortgage affordability and general knowledge that she won't be stretched financially?

Beaniebeemer Sat 03-Mar-18 20:39:20

Yes I do need the third day for affordability for a mortgage. Putting the house on the market is all well and good but without the third day being made permenent we will not be able to buy a sufficiently big enough. house. It’s not made easy by my partners job being heavily commission based. I’ve been working the extra day so three days a week since last April. They make excuses every time the two month extension ends. My youngest goes to school in September and I’ve said once she’s at school I will be able to do more but due to childcare I can’t at the moment.

flowery Sat 03-Mar-18 21:37:58

”Yes I do need the third day for affordability for a mortgage”

Your working hours have been 3 days a week for almost a year. You have plenty of evidence of consistent income at that level. Is that not sufficient for the mortgage company?

Beaniebeemer Sat 03-Mar-18 21:47:10

Yes if we stayed with the same lender but we will need to move lender as our lender now does not look favourably on my partners commission.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in