Talk

Advanced search

Sick note - can my employer demand the original?

(24 Posts)
LesAnya Fri 02-Mar-18 12:10:52

I have been signed off sick with stress/anxiety/depression on and off since the start of the year. I am currently off, and my employer is insisting on having the original sick notes for payroll. I am more than happy for them to see the originals, and provide them with scanned copies, but they are saying they need the originals for SSP. I’ve looked online at the Gov guidance which says I should retain the originals, but was wondering if anyone had any more insight? I just think if HMRC want to see the originals in 2 years time they wouldn’t accept a copy!

Thank you smile

Karmin Fri 02-Mar-18 12:11:57

They can see the originals and not keep them though

Steeley113 Fri 02-Mar-18 12:13:48

I’ve always given in the originals?

Sarsparella Fri 02-Mar-18 12:17:00

I’ve always handed them straight over & HMRC have never asked me for sick notes, why do they need them?

SueDunome Fri 02-Mar-18 12:20:33

If HMRC wanted to see your sick notes, they would contact your employer, because they would expect them to be on your payroll records.

CrumblungUnderHobnobCrumbs Fri 02-Mar-18 16:46:02

Our policy says they must have the originals. I take a pic and hand them over. I also email them so I can prove they've had a copy.
Your GP would be able to print off copies.
I hope you start to feel better soon.

DancesWithOtters Fri 02-Mar-18 16:52:25

We have to hand in the originals and we get given a copy.

greendale17 Fri 02-Mar-18 20:12:48

We have to give original sick notes too

gobbin Sat 03-Mar-18 00:14:55

Nope, the Fit note is yours. See Govt guidance attached which recommends you keep the original and give your employer a copy.
In effect, it doesn’t really matter as long as you have a copy.

SeniorRita Sat 03-Mar-18 00:47:05

You might need it later if your ssp runs out and you have to make a claim, so keep them, give the employer a copy, show them the original.

I did once have to insist on originals as the employee was using a stolen pad and forging signatures, but that was a very specific case and we got the police involved.

prh47bridge Sat 03-Mar-18 08:52:02

Show your employer the government guidance. They do not need the originals. It is reasonable for them to want to see the originals but they only need a copy. Having said that, I have never needed the original so I'm not entirely sure why the government thinks you need to keep a copy.

prh47bridge Sat 03-Mar-18 08:52:24

Sorry - not sure why the government thinks you need to keep the original.

soulfulsarah Sun 04-Mar-18 21:28:02

A side note as I may be going off sick too... do you have to go into work to physically hand in the sicknote? Can someone else do it on your behalf? Or can a copy be scanned and emailed over? So work for a small family run business (not my family) and I wouldn’t want to face my boss again who is my director of the company.

Finderscrispy Sun 04-Mar-18 21:32:36

Take a copy and give original to employer. You can always request a duplicate from doctor if for some reason you need another original.

SeniorRita Sun 04-Mar-18 22:29:14

@soulfulsarah

Post it or get someone to take it in, you don't need to take it, you're ill.

The govt thinks you need the original because when you make the claim for whatever benefit it is you apply for when SSP runs out, they ask you for the originals.

SeniorRita Sun 04-Mar-18 22:30:16

(I don't think you can request a duplicate from the doctor by the way, why would the NHS waste its time like that?)

Finderscrispy Sun 04-Mar-18 23:23:16

You can request a duplicate if by chance you mislay it, or for any other reason you need a copy of it. the receptionist will just print another off. Not advocating it btw, just explaining that you can request a duplicate.

Marko10 Fri 19-Jul-19 06:45:06

Guidance provided by the DWP on the advice of health care professionals can be found via the following link. A fit note is yours, an employer is entitled to make a copy but not take the original.

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/578032/fit-note-guidance-for-employers-and-line-managers.pdf

Babyroobs Fri 19-Jul-19 11:05:30

I would keep the original. If you need to claim Universal credit or New style esa when your ssp runs out I think you will need the original.

Isleepinahedgefund Fri 19-Jul-19 13:58:26

I’d want to have sight of the original as I used to work on sickness benefits and people altered their certificates with alarmingly regularity. Not so much of an issue now they tend to be type written though. I’d not want to keep it though.

Send a copy and refer them to the government guidance.

topcat2014 Sat 20-Jul-19 08:16:05

Why would employers be so petty? Surely (apart from the stolen pad thing) a photo on a phone is just as good?

I have been a finance director for years, and have never managed to need to be as petty as some finance staff end up being.

prh47bridge Sat 20-Jul-19 09:23:39

This thread is over a year old. Not sure why it has been revived.

Jeeperscreepers69 Tue 23-Jul-19 13:01:51

You cant scan a sick note!!!! Its got to be original. Why are you reluctant to hand it over? Paranoid id say

prh47bridge Tue 23-Jul-19 13:47:02

You cant scan a sick note!!!! Its got to be original

WRONG. See the government guidance linked to above. The employer is entitled to the original. And, as I've already pointed out, this thread is over a year old I doubt the OP still needs advice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »