Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Claiming expenses

(8 Posts)
Spoonfulofrubber Mon 12-Feb-18 22:19:39

I work in a role that relies heavily on expenses claims for journey time, fuel, admin, extras etc. Since the end of last year, my employer has limited what we can claim expenses for. There are around 4 small things that we can no longer claim. I work part-time and having sat and looked at the figures, my pay could be down up to 200 a month with these 4 small adjustments, which is a lot of money to us. I'm feeling really discontented and angry about this; I have complained yet it seems nobody else in my department has. Everyone seems to be accepting it. Am I correct in feeling/thinking that these cuts just aren't on? What can I do to challenge this? Should I challenge it? One of the cuts I feel is particularly out of order as it means I could actually be working for free for roughly 1 hour per week!

dementedpixie Mon 12-Feb-18 22:20:39

What are the 4 you can no longer claim for?

TellsEveryoneRealFacts Mon 12-Feb-18 22:21:22

what are the things? surely a business expense is a business expense?

SantanicoPandemonium Mon 12-Feb-18 22:24:08

If it’s a legit business expense, then you should speak up but if it’s something like lunch between clients then it’s fair enough of them.

Spoonfulofrubber Mon 12-Feb-18 22:24:19

One example would be a late cancelled one off meeting- we used to get paid for the whole meeting and now can only claim for half the pay even though there was so time to arrange extra work. Can no longer claim travel time to the office, but we need to go back to the office to prepare our paperwork for following days meetings.

SeniorRita Mon 12-Feb-18 22:31:41

Being paid for time at meetings isn't expenses, it's pay. So, that one is a contractual change you need to push back on.

You cannot under tax rules be paid (untaxed) expenses for attending the office, no matter what it is for.

daisychain01 Tue 13-Feb-18 04:14:29

OP you need to give us more info about the basis of your employment as it is impossible to say whether the items you've mentioned are classed as business incurred expenses.

Can no longer claim travel time to the office, but we need to go back to the office to prepare our paperwork for following days meetings

Claim for travel time to your office is not an allowable expense. However, if you are employed as a home worker you might be able to claim for petrol, because your normal place of work is home. But that is an assumption because I don't know your employment basis.

If your employer has withdrawn 4 expense categories it could be they have received advice and have changed their policy accordingly

Hoppinggreen Tue 13-Feb-18 08:13:11

If you are office based then you can’t claim expenses to travel there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: