Talk

Advanced search

Need some advice - job advertised at old workplace, want to apply but when to ask if they would consider fewer hours?

(11 Posts)
hennessythegreat Mon 12-Feb-18 21:38:44

A year ago I had a job I really liked, 30 hours a week. Got on with everyone and kept in touch. I left to work in a related field but unfortunately the job ended due to lack of funding - am currently fairly new in a job I am really not enjoying at all. My old boss from the first job told me they are advertising and encouraged me to apply but when I looked I saw it was full time. Would it be cheeky to contact her at this stage and see if 30 hours would be feasible? also to start and leave earlier, as the late finish was an issue for me before? I would prefer to do this job full time than the one I'm doing now, if the hours were earlier, but 30 hours was perfect (trying to finish off my MA). How would you approach this? Boss is lovely person and I don't want to presume on her good nature in any way.

CalmConfident Mon 12-Feb-18 21:43:06

If you do not ask, you will never know.

Give her a call for an informal chat and just ask. Having an experienced trusted person is a great asset to any team. I would compromise on hours for that, plus you are likely to be more efficient than a brand new starter

hennessythegreat Mon 12-Feb-18 21:48:54

That's great to hear, thanks. They were pleased with my work and I loved the company - only left for this other opportunity that turned out to be a real dead end - no one's fault but one of those things. They offered me what they could to try and keep me and now I wish I stayed! just don't want to be cheeky because they're people I like and get on with

CalmConfident Wed 14-Feb-18 22:29:17

Have you had the conversation with previous boss yet then?

Just do it smile

hennessythegreat Sat 24-Feb-18 08:23:44

I emailed her but never heard back, which means I'm scuppered from putting in an application of any kind and the deadline is on Sunday!

2ndSopranos Sat 24-Feb-18 08:27:12

Just apply! Applying for a job isn't any sort of commitment.

eurochick Sat 24-Feb-18 08:28:58

Just apply. You can discuss hours if you are offered the job.

daisychain01 Sat 24-Feb-18 08:31:07

You need to separate the people from the act of getting the job.

There's nothing cheeky about applying for a job, it's a financial transaction, you've got the skills they will pay for if they decide you're who they need.

Just apply, you've got nothing to lose!

daisychain01 Sat 24-Feb-18 08:33:41

Ive working with someone who has worked for the company about 5 or 6 times. She keeps coming back on short or medium term assignments and also had her own business. Nobody thinks twice about it, they like having her back again!

hennessythegreat Sat 24-Feb-18 11:29:19

Thanks everyone. I'll apply then, and discuss the hours at interview if I get one. At least they'll be forewarned... Appreciate the encouragement.
This has made me realise how much I dislike my present job, as the thought of being there indefinitely made my heart sink! Crossing everything now.

daisychain01 Sat 24-Feb-18 12:10:39

Nice one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now