Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

2 jobs 1 employer maternity advice

(13 Posts)
Lilachopesandwishes Mon 12-Feb-18 19:54:09

Hi all
Myself and DP are considering baby no2. I work 2 jobs with one employer 25 hours in one role 7 hours in another. Both are classes as 2 separate roles and are paid separately. So I have a few questions before we conceive that will help make decisions easier-
1. Will I get smp for both roles?
2. If I am entitled to smp and omp for one role but not omp on another is it possible to work those 7 contracted hours but have maternity for the other 25?

Pittcuecothecookbook Mon 12-Feb-18 19:58:37

For the purposes of SMP, they'll take your earnings in that employer, so the total 32 hours per week. Are you on the same T&Cs for both contracts, yeah?

Lilachopesandwishes Mon 12-Feb-18 20:03:03

No one is paid pro-rata and the other is not. The 7 hours role is higher paid than the 25 hours role

BakedBeans47 Mon 12-Feb-18 20:16:39

For the purposes of SMP, they'll take your earnings in that employer, so the total 32 hours per week

That’s my understanding too. If you had 2 employers you might get 2 lots of SMP but only one if you just have one employer.

You would be able to do up to 10 KIT days if you wanted to do some work without it affecting your maternity pay.

Intelinside Mon 12-Feb-18 20:18:35

One can be higher paid, it won't matter for the purposes of SMP. It'll just be your total earnings taken into account.

Intelinside Mon 12-Feb-18 20:20:04

You would be able to do up to 10 KIT days if you wanted to do some work without it affecting your maternity pay.

Only if you are earning less than full pay, otherwise it'll just be off-set against the mat pay and you'll not earn anymore in practice for kit days

BakedBeans47 Mon 12-Feb-18 20:21:48

Only if you are earning less than full pay, otherwise it'll just be off-set against the mat pay and you'll not earn anymore in practice for kit days

Yeah that’s a bit shite and not much incentive to do them eh! My work paid you your full rate on top of your SMP

Sadhairdaytoday Mon 12-Feb-18 20:22:52

You definitely won't get two lots of SMP. But if you are eligible you will get SMP. SMP is paid by your employer but your employer is reimbursed this from the government.

www.gov.uk/employers-maternity-pay-leave

Intelinside Mon 12-Feb-18 20:31:18

That's very unusual bakedbeans, bet that was great! 😁

PurpleBun Mon 12-Feb-18 20:42:16

SMP is calculated completely independently depending on your eligibility for each job.

You can get two (or even more!) of SMP - I did as I, like you, have two employments. I even checked this to the legislation I'm that boring.

BakedBeans47 Mon 12-Feb-18 21:18:00

That's very unusual bakedbeans, bet that was great! 😁

I think it was just because we were short staffed so they had to make it worth our while 😁

BakedBeans47 Mon 12-Feb-18 21:20:33

I even checked this to the legislation I'm that boring.

Have you got a link to the legislation please, I’m even more boring grin I know you can get it from more than one employer but couldn’t find anything that says you can get 2 lots from the same employer smilecake

Sadhairdaytoday Mon 12-Feb-18 21:45:21

Intelinside and bakedbeans I also got paid for my KIT days smile. Maybe it depends on your employer. (Also my employer didn't pay any more than SMP)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: