Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Occupational health assessment - how do employers choose doctor?

(7 Posts)
itseleven Sun 11-Feb-18 21:27:00

Hello,

I have an occupational health assessment tomorrow and I was curious about how HR departments that don't have OH in-house go about choosing a doctor.

The doctor am having my assessment with doesn't have a website and I've found out nothing about him doing any thing related to OH (done a very extensive google search). He is a real doctor as I have found him on the GMC website but not much else at all about him.

I find that slightly odd. Can anyone in HR help? What do you think about that? How did they find this person?

Also I read an article on personnel today about best practice with OH referral's www.personneltoday.com/hr/good-practice-making-occupational-health-referrals/

My employer doesn't seem to have covered any of these points.

I have been told that I am being sent to OH to 'best to support your return to work' but that's it. Looking at that checklist on the PT website it looks like my employer should show me what they are sending to OH before they send it to him?

'The employee should be able to see a copy of the form, and ideally should also sign it, giving their consent, before it is sent to arrange the appointment.'

Bit late now but should I have seen this?

Thank you

daisychain01 Mon 12-Feb-18 05:13:42

Can you check your contract because it may cover the scenario that, if your employer needs to, you give them permission to invite you to attend an OH meeting if there are concerns about your health, insofar as it affects your ability to do your job.

If your employers is SME, likely the OH Doctor is on a retainer with your company ie they carry out ad hoc assessments on an as needed basis. Doctors don't always have websites as you've found, but it's good to know he's registered.

When you go along for the meeting you can ask theDoctor to give you details of the referral and they are duty bound to give you the info.

daisychain01 Mon 12-Feb-18 05:14:26

If your employer is SME,

Pinkprincess1978 Mon 12-Feb-18 06:43:16

We use an external provider for all our OH needs so don't get to choose anything.

We don't and can't actually have the employee sign the referral as it is done electronically- yes generally we will tell them sure a sickness absence review meeting that we will be referring them - contact from our OC is usually electronic and is pretty fast so if we didn't chances are they will have had an email or text appointment the day we make the referral.

itseleven Mon 12-Feb-18 07:39:10

Thank you all, this has put my mind at ease. I was a bit confused as looking at the personnel today article it seemed like they had to tell me what questions they were going to ask OH to ask me but I supppse that is a best practice situation and not mandatory. I work for an SME and I did sign a consent form to attend. I have no problem doing so but haven’t really been told anything about what to expect at the appointment from my work so everything I know has been found online.

Thank you

Amy

daisychain01 Tue 13-Feb-18 13:29:12

but I supppse that is a best practice situation and not mandatory

Yes, spot-on, resources like Personnel Today are very much about encouraging a gold standard for every type of organisation, but it has to be realistic and achievable depending on the company size.

I hope it goes well and they continue to support you in getting better.

itseleven Wed 14-Feb-18 02:18:09

Thank you ☺️ He was really very nice but glad it’s over for now, hopefully I can get a back to work plan out of it

Amy

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: