Talk

Advanced search

Not fit for work

(5 Posts)
Ceraxefer Thu 08-Feb-18 01:44:53

My GP gave me a sick note which states not fit for work for 4 monthss. After 4 months I have a hospital assestment and then i will have my hand surgery. I have severe symptoms of Carpel tunnel syndrome and i work in a supermarket with lots of lifting and repititive work. After 2 wks of my sickness my manager asked me to come back with both job and hours modification. I dont feel fit and my dr already told me that i will damage my muscles if i continue stressing ny hands. I have already told this to my manager that but he is still offering me some work. I want to know do i have to accept the offer. He said i can even come back for a few hrs per wk. In that case will i lose my SSP? I dont feel fit to go back to work as my hands are constantly numb and tingling.

booqueue Fri 09-Feb-18 19:39:37

bump

daisychain01 Sun 11-Feb-18 10:21:43

Your employer should pay SSP for days you are unable to work.

You need to balance the risk of harm caused by working, as you have an injury CTS that responds better to rest that usage so it is unfortunately a difficult decision that only you can make, as to whether to accept their offer, and supported by your GPs advice.

It seems your employers are being supportive of you, by offering you phased working. I think you need to keep them informed and work closely with them regarding what that offer of work means to you in reality - ie is the offer totally flexible or do they need you in work on set days (which may be difficult depending on your pain levels).

From their perspective SSP lasts for 26 weeks, but they need to give you advanced notice before they can withdraw it.

Stopping payment of SSP and the returning to work paragraphs are hopefully helpful

www.gov.uk/guidance/statutory-sick-pay-employee-fitness-to-work

Ceraxefer Sun 11-Feb-18 14:41:00

Thanks for your reply. I have gone back to my GP for advice who was quite surprised that the OH advisor has suggested modified hours and duties. However he said that you have been given off because of your condition and u can decide what you want for yourself. As the OH can over rule GP s sick note i have no choice but to go back for a few hours on trial basis. The dr however reffered me to get steroid inj for pain management. Its difficult for me to work as i am in pain. I will update after my mext meeting with ny personal manager.

daisychain01 Sun 11-Feb-18 20:31:35

You do not sound in a good way OP. Always put your health first before any job. If you have to take steroid injections just to keep going that's not a good sign.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: