Talk

Advanced search

Not being signed off for probation period.

(11 Posts)
mercurymaze Wed 07-Feb-18 18:11:39

I was told my job probation wouldn't be signed off as there are still areas where i need support. The job is very very hard to learn and I have been there 45 months. I haven't made any bad decisions of errors but have been told i have to get more organised with meetings etc.

I know this isn't much to go on but surely it doesn't bode well? any advice?

GoatPavlova Wed 07-Feb-18 18:18:45

45 months for probation? Most probationary periods are about 6 months. They need to be clear about where the shortfalls are, what the expectations are with timescales and a support programme and clarity about when you will complete the probationary period. Has this been a formal process? Is it a large employer?

flowery Wed 07-Feb-18 18:26:01

If you've been there nearly 4 years then probation doesn't mean anything, they can't just dismiss you anyway.

Having said that it doesn't sound like they think you are performing at a high enough standard so to avoid formal action you should consider the things they are raising, ask for any support or additional training you feel you need, and address the areas of concern.

mercurymaze Wed 07-Feb-18 18:26:20

sorry 4 months! yes it's a large employer and a formal process

GoatPavlova Wed 07-Feb-18 19:01:50

I sometimes extend probationary periods to ensure people are comfortable to be ‘up and running’ fully. It isn’t a forewarning of doom necessarily and most just take a bit longer to get to grips with the job. Make sure you are clear about what the ‘pass mark’ is, the expectations and how these will be measured.

mollifly Wed 07-Feb-18 19:06:24

Make sure they give you a clear action plan of what you need to achieve, what support you'll get to do it, when it will be reviewed and what time scale you have. Some probation periods can go on a long time.

TinaMena Wed 07-Feb-18 19:06:58

The law says you can be sacked for any (or no) reason for up to two years after you began employment. So any length of probationary period for less than two years doesn't really mean anything anyway

mercurymaze Wed 07-Feb-18 19:16:42

ah thank you everyone that makes me feel a bit better

Regularsizedrudy Wed 07-Feb-18 19:32:35

I wouldn’t worry too much about it after only 4 months honestly. Just make sure you know what they hope to see from you and you’ll pass fine when it’s next reviewed

Iprefercoffeetotea Thu 08-Feb-18 11:25:52

Probationary periods are significant because there is usually a shorter notice period, and sometimes you can't have certain benefits while you're on probation eg joining the pension scheme .

As an example, I've just been offered a job where the notice period in the first 3 months is one week on either side, then it goes to 2 months.

Luckycatsplat Sat 10-Feb-18 21:11:19

Have they given you specifics on where you need training? Or examples of where you can do better?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: