Talk

Advanced search

Wanting to leave my job

(4 Posts)
AwkwardPaws27 Wed 07-Feb-18 13:37:12

I work for a large public organisation. I was encouraged to take a vocational course alongside work, which may lead to promotion. I'm nearly finished and it's now clear it is not going to. I leave within the next two years I have to pay back £1000 for the course.

I have developed the role, taken on additional tasks that were formerly done by a higher grade, but there is no hope for me here. My manager isn't even saying "maybe in 6 months" any more.

I need to leave, but I have had two interviews in the last couple of months and not got the job. Feedback has been positive but there is always someone else with more experience or a degree.

I've lost all confidence. I only have one leave day left until April, and I'm scared to waste it on another interview for another job I won't get.

I'm thinking of quitting and temping. I don't know what I want to do. I feel so low just being here and self-harmed yesterday for the first time since my teens.

RC1234 Wed 07-Feb-18 21:34:23

Nothing is ever guaranteed - however the extra qualifications will help in your job hunt in the future.

Is there a reason for needing to leave urgently other than disappointment over no imminent promotion?

It sucks when you take on extra responsibility and there are no rewards. However, it probably is not you - there may be things going on in the background that prevent any promotions or pay rises for anyone at the moment. Given time conditions may change (or they may not). It might just be the wrong time of the year. At my old place promotions only ever happened in August for some reason and we only ever could give out 2 at a time for the whole department regardless of how many high performers we had.

Focus on the positives - you are getting interviews, you are getting positive feedback and you are building up experience of what sort of questions and tasks are expected in those interviews. Use that knowledge to help you develop yourself - once you have taken some time out to take care of yourself.

AwkwardPaws27 Fri 09-Feb-18 23:56:29

I don't think the qualification is going to help as I'm struggling to complete it; I'm having to fight every step of the way to be allowed to do certain tasks in order to finish it (its a vocational qualification). I was encouraged to do it, yet there has been very little support.

I think I'm actually quite depressed. I feel very hopeless.

I can't take any sick leave so I'll just have to try and hold out until I can take annual leave in April.

Jackyjill6 Sat 10-Feb-18 23:13:18

Does your Occupational Health dept have a counselling service?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now