Leaving work after accident

(78 Posts)
Jenmarble Sat 03-Feb-18 10:52:47

I had an accident at work , that gave me a black eye.
I was hit by a heavy door that swings back and closes itself really fast.
I dont feel great about going back to this job, there has been other things that concern me about health and safety and i've never had any training. But if i just quit i wont be entitled to benefits and i'm not sure what to say to a new employer.
Also a manager has changed my contract for less hours and no hoilday, whereas HR think I'm on a different contract, and its made me really confused and a but stressed.
I think i'm probably going to write a resignation letter, but i'm not sure what to say.
Should i try to leave on good terms and say i enjoyed the job but its not right for me right now?, or should i say i find working conditions stressful? thanks

OP’s posts: |
insancerre Sat 03-Feb-18 10:56:24

Everyone is entitled to holidays and contracts can't just be changed without you agreeing to it
Speak to hr about your contract and look for a better job

Jenmarble Sat 03-Feb-18 10:59:31

thanks, i think i have to leave but i feel so stressed . But i think i would still need to work notice? Or do you think they could let me off in the circumstances?

LIZS Sat 03-Feb-18 11:00:13

Why would you resign? How long have you been there, should there have been an induction and training covering h and s. Your contract cannot be changed even if 0 hours without hr knowing. Who recruited you , can you email and ask for a review?

LIZS Sat 03-Feb-18 11:01:13

Was the accident documented?

insancerre Sat 03-Feb-18 11:05:35

Don't resign until you have found another job
Was the accident recorded in the accident book?

Jenmarble Sat 03-Feb-18 11:06:48

hi thanks. No I have never had any health and safety training of any kind, had no induction. I had some hours reduced, but my written contract says i 'm on the same working pattern with holiday entitled
ment, but another manager says i'm not to come in on certain dates with no holiday, so a term time contact... confused

PoisonousSmurf Sat 03-Feb-18 11:09:03

Talk to HR before doing anything rash. It could be that the manager is confused. HR are the gods of any office, they will know where you stand.
And next time...Avoid that door! flowers

Jenmarble Sat 03-Feb-18 11:09:26

thanks, I told my supervisor the next day, A few work colleagues know i had the accident on same day. I don't know if they have documented it, i phoned HR and left a message, since then i've just been trying to recover. I was in shock after, and because i was on my own when it happened, i dont know what they will say about that.

TittyGolightly Sat 03-Feb-18 11:10:52

I read your post on mse about it. So many questions asked that you haven’t answered.

Parker231 Sat 03-Feb-18 11:11:20

Definitely go and see HR. Your manager is incorrect. You are entitled to paid annual holiday, statutory (as a minimum) sick pay and your contract, hours of work can’t be changed without your consent or consultation.

Do not resign. Ask for health and safety training before returning to your role and then look for a new job. It’s always easier to find a new job whilst you are still in one.

Jenmarble Sat 03-Feb-18 11:11:46

thanks everyone but i think i'm resigning, any ideas about what to say in letter?

LIZS Sat 03-Feb-18 11:12:00

Your manager should ensure it is recorded in the Accident Book, doesn't matter if you were alone. However if you mean Lone Working (only person on premises) there should be a policy related to that. Do you have access to the company intranet or handbook?

insancerre Sat 03-Feb-18 11:12:15

You mention term time, is this a school or a nursery?

TheFallenMadonna Sat 03-Feb-18 11:13:16

Are you off work at the moment?

flowery Sat 03-Feb-18 11:14:07

If you’re fortunate enough to be in a financial position that you don’t need to work, by all means resign. But if you’re hoping/needing to find a new job, stay with it and try and sort things out whilst looking for something else.

GlitterGlue Sat 03-Feb-18 11:18:30

Honestly, I think you need to get a bit of a grip. You’ve had a nasty shock, but that’s not reason to quit.

Speak to hr and start job hunting. Quitting without a job to go to rarely looks good on a cv.

Jenmarble Sat 03-Feb-18 11:21:49

yes i 'm off work

Jenmarble Sat 03-Feb-18 11:22:32

its a school

TheFallenMadonna Sat 03-Feb-18 11:24:06

For how long? Are you signed off?

Jenmarble Sat 03-Feb-18 11:25:12

I really can't go back to this job.

TheFallenMadonna Sat 03-Feb-18 11:25:24

I've seen it's a school. What health and safety training do you need in your role?

Jenmarble Sat 03-Feb-18 11:26:14

i'm going back to the doctors, could be another week. But i really think i should just resign anyway too stressed about everything.

Jenmarble Sat 03-Feb-18 11:27:38

should i just leave on good terms and say the job isn't right for me right now?

TittyGolightly Sat 03-Feb-18 11:28:06

I’m not sure you’re well enough to be at work, but not for the eye injury.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in