Some help please

(21 Posts)
Buxtongabor Fri 26-Jan-18 18:31:49

Have nc for this as could be outing.

Background. Very strong history of performance and progression. Promoted twice. All stellar reviews. Four months ago fell out with manager as I blew whistle on something he did (very bad) Long story short, he was managed out/paid off. Made clear to me "I was not to be smug about this" by my stand in line manager (ex manager's friend). Lots of bad blood flying around from whistleblowing still. Stand in line manager had to admit to HR that he had lied about something big to me. Ex manager job now available. Decision taken to advertise externally. I am very well qualified and tick all boxes. I applied. My stand in line manager will be on interviewing panel, made very clear to me today (with no one else around) that I will not be successful.

What would you do? I love my job and would be a great move. Small company c100 people. HR led by stand in line manager. Is there any hope??

OP’s posts: |
hevonbu Fri 26-Jan-18 18:40:42

No, in my opinion you will probably be more successful in another company than the one you've been working for because of what's happened there in the recent past.

retirednow Fri 26-Jan-18 18:47:03

Whistleblowers are protected in law from discrimination, look at the gov.uk site and see if you come into that category. You could ask acas for advice. Do you really want to work with someone like that anyway, if you do then you could ask in the interview if the whistleblowing affects your chance of being hired and watch him lie or squirm in front of other people, assuming there will be a panel.

Partypopper123 Fri 26-Jan-18 19:21:18

Unless it's likely that stand in line manager will leave soon, I think you should start to look for a new role. It's not right or fair but realistically stand in line manager is going to make it difficult for you.

Achafi Fri 26-Jan-18 19:24:30

It is worth going for the job. Look for vacancies in other professions in the mean time. Document and record all interactions and then when you have alternative employment contaxt Acas re them discriminating against a whistle-blower. Good luck

Buxtongabor Fri 26-Jan-18 19:28:22

Thanks. Am so disappointed. Is not right or fair but I've worked bloody hard and do a good job. I like working there but can't see a way forward 🙁

glitterbiscuits Fri 26-Jan-18 19:35:28

Could you not request they are excluded from the interview panel? Is it common knowledge that you are a whistle blower?

retirednow Fri 26-Jan-18 19:42:28

Is the stand in not applying for the job? If you really want to pursue it then would you be able to have an informal meeting with him and tell him you'd like to apply, tell him that you are recording the meeting for both your sakes as you don't want there to be any misunderstanding. Is he likely to be promoted to the permanent manager or still be there when they recruit someone new?

Buxtongabor Fri 26-Jan-18 20:01:46

I thought about asking him to be excluded but thought that might make it worse - I'd look like a trouble maker? I don't think HR have thought this through at all. He won't apply as has a vey different permanent role (is doing this one in addition, although just in paper as had zero involvement since the other guy left). I've already applied but now wondering if worth putting myself through it to get knocked down.

Fettuccinecarbonara Fri 26-Jan-18 20:05:52

I’d probably report him to HR as saying this and request a different interview panel.

I’d go through with the interview for the experience, and whether I got the job or not, I’d leave.

Rainboho Fri 26-Jan-18 20:07:53

I have two thoughts. One hand, don’t let them knock you down. Stand tough if you did the right thing and let the outcome of the interview inform where you go from there.

However, if you are actively and ruthlessly climbing to the top and ‘whistleblew’ to clear the way, then you probably don’t deserve the promotion and it would explain the bad feeling.

Only you truly know which applies in your case, OP.

londonista Fri 26-Jan-18 20:10:46

With that track record I'd definitely be trying to find a different job.
Not that it's fair, but even if you were to get it, it's unlikely to just disappear as an issue. If it were me, I'd want the fresh start.

WinnerWinnerChickenDinner0 Fri 26-Jan-18 20:16:14

Could you contact hr and ask (with an air of total innocence) if you should withdraw your application as you have been told by line manager that you won’t be successful? Or ask for more information as to why you would not be successful under the guise of “what do I need to do to improve my qualifications/experience

In other words innocently dump him in it

retirednow Fri 26-Jan-18 20:27:39

Winner, I like your stylegrin

anothernetter Fri 26-Jan-18 20:51:16

Is there anyone above HR you can discuss this with? This person's behaviour is utterly appalling.

anothernetter Fri 26-Jan-18 20:53:57

I would go with what Winner has said. I would be tempted to write an email and copy in the company boss and make it clear that this person has a conflict of interest. Make it difficult for him. You may we'll end up leaving but you will leave a cloud of doubt hanging over him and his integrity will be shot to pieces.

Buxtongabor Fri 26-Jan-18 21:06:35

Rainboho - no doesn't explain bad feeling. Whistleblow all above board thank you. All minuted and recorded correctly by HR.

Winner - I like this, although think will put me firmly in box of causing trouble, so again less likely to get the job.

If I didn't think I truly deserved this role I wouldn't be so hurt. Feels like I am still being penalised for the other guy going. Although "officially" of course that won't be true.

Thank you for all replies. Think I will go ahead for experience and do what winner/anothernetter said. I still have my integrity that way.

hevonbu Sat 27-Jan-18 04:27:04

Is not right or fair but I've worked bloody hard and do a good job.

No, it's not. Sometimes you do a good job to the best of your ability and you know you're technically right about your view on something, but you just find yourself ousted for whatever reason. It's one thing to be right, objectively speaking, and it's another issue altogether to be allowed to be right about that issue in that particular organisation.

You might want to look for "The Insider" - a film from 1999 about a whistleblower. You could for instance search on YouTube for "The insider Trailer HD (1999)".

Intelinside Sat 27-Jan-18 05:13:32

If you're not going to get the job anyway, definitely dob them in. If you ever want to rely on this in the future at an ET or something, having a record of 'your side of the story (as it'll be seen, I obviously believe you!) Will be really helpful. If you ever want to make a claim for victimisation, constructive dismissal etc, this will be a key piece of your evidence. It'll be easier for you to prove (on the balance of probabilities) that it's true if you make a record of it straight away.

Victimisation is a serious conduct concern, likely gross misconduct in fact, and while it's totally understandable you dont want to work there, if they try to unfairly deduct holiday pay or something else, then having a noted record of this will help. An oblivious, play dumb response now will probably help you too tbh as if anyone accuses you of going after friends of the manager who mistreated you, then you can say "actually I just asked for feedback from HR, what they investigated was not an allegation from me"...

WinnerWinnerChickenDinner0 Sat 27-Jan-18 19:23:09

Good luck Buxton

It really is a shitty situation to end up in.

Keep us posted on how things progress

Buxtongabor Sat 27-Jan-18 20:04:57

Thanks - have had some really good advice here. There's actually been quite a lot of really horrible stuff that's come out about the guy that left now (completely unrelated to the whistleblowing) but still feels like my card had been marked. Am feeling so torn between sticking the proverbial finger up and looking to leave but my natural instinct is to stay and fight for what is right. I don't mean to sound arrogant by assuming the job would be mine by I do majority of now and do very well. Politics sad

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in